502 Mag Mpi Running Bad >

502 Mag Mpi Running Bad

Notices

502 Mag Mpi Running Bad

Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Put down the vodka and cranberry, its a 502mpi, no carbs.

That was funny I liked it made my morning better Thanks GO4Broke
Old 08-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Registered

So changed the fuel/water filter and check the plug and plug wires. Ran good and then out of no where smooth water started doing it again, this time it is doing it at lower RPM'S as well as higher RPM's. I know I need to hook it up to a computer but what stuff can I check til then. I'm thinking about replacing the plug wires in the morning, one of the wires has a tear in it at the plug and has been tapped together by electrical tape. ANY HELP!!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Registered

you said you had water in the separator. did you drain the tank after you put a new separator on ?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by kwooley
So changed the fuel/water filter and check the plug and plug wires. Ran good and then out of no where smooth water started doing it again, this time it is doing it at lower RPM'S as well as higher RPM's. I know I need to hook it up to a computer but what stuff can I check til then. I'm thinking about replacing the plug wires in the morning, one of the wires has a tear in it at the plug and has been tapped together by electrical tape. ANY HELP!!!!
Electrical tape isn't enough insulation to contain 35-50,000 volts! That is likely the whole problem.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Had to put down my so-co and coke to type that.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:10 AM
Registered

it is not a complete tear through but starting to come apart, but I am going to start there. Yes drained the tank and fresh gas.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kwooley
it is not a complete tear through but starting to come apart, but I am going to start there. Yes drained the tank and fresh gas.

You panicing settle down take a deep breath....... replace all the wires. then when its dark I mean really dark out start the motor and look at the coils see if there arching over . My SeaRay had acouble coils arching over once that caused havoc but spotted the bad one in the total dark that was on a 8.1LS horizon motor
Old 08-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

So what did you find??
Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Registered

So after going crazy...My Uncle got into town (has a 46 searay after several upgrades and does all his own MNT, had 454's in his old boat) and we started with the replacing all the spark plug's and wires. Found a dirty contection on the distributor. Still did not fix it. While we were out trying after all that, Trying to pay attention to everything, I noticed that the engine temp would bounce up for about 30 secs to 60 secs and then drop down. That is when I said give me a soco and diet, It was the freakin fresh water intake impeller, engine was protecting itself. Spent 3 hrs pulling the pump out and taking the impeller out and sure enough 1 blade gone and several others going. Replaced it and runs like a dream. Ran for three days and got a "pin" hole leak in my power steering fluid hose... Said enough is enough and took it out of the water and trailered it home to Dothan AL. Took the hoses off tonight and getting two made tom. Be running in Destin or the Chattahoccee River this weekend. Thanks for all the tips