Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
Taking the Prowler apart >

Taking the Prowler apart

Notices

Taking the Prowler apart

Old 12-13-2009, 02:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the Cylinders had water in it....I was looking for some reasons why....Cut my troubleshooting in half.Thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Sure looks like reversion to me.
Time to add some HP!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Registered

Thanks for the repy, This is the first marine engine I have rebuilt and wanted to make sure that others agreed on what it was.

As for more horse power, you are correct. I just wish my pocket book could support it. Like I said at the first of this post, I have not had the boat very long and did not plan on having to do any serious work until next off season. The good part is I will know everything has been gone through and ready for a long boating season.

I have made some progress on the enigne. Got it mounted on the engine stand this weekend, cleaned the valves (replacing 8 exhaust valves, and 1 intake). I'm going to try and paint the inside with Glyptal today and start putting it together this weekend. I mentioned I magmafluxed the head in one spot that looked like trouble and it was ok, but I am going to pressure test it today to make sure its ok. Ill post the results.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Registered

Thought I would give an update on the boat progress. After some thought about saving the heads, I decided to replace all the valves and find a new set of heads. I found a great deal, 120hr fresh water stock 502 heads ($300) that will be replacing mine, that were pretty much trash. all the parts are in for the motor and the process of putting it back together will begin too.

In addition to the engine, I got a refurbished drive (had 200hrs on it before being serviced) hopefully no problems with it. I also ordered a brand new transom assembly to replace the old one. Ill post some pictures of the old one, still trying to figure out what happened to it.

Time table is to have the boat in the water for a test run the middle of feb....

Hope everyone is surviving this freezing weather!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Registered

Engine is Done! Transom Assembly is Done! Drive is on! Hope to turn the engine over tom. to prove the engine is Done. It was a fun project and I have learned alot about the mehcanics of the boat. I'm guessing all in all it took about 2people 5 12hr days to get the engine done. I replaced everything that even looked like it needed replacing. All parts that could be saved were bead blasted and panted to prevent further corrosion. I did find the final reason why the engine was running so hot, oil cooler was stuffed with an old impeller. I changed the impeller when I bought the boat, only missing a small piece, didnt think much of it. The person I bought the boat from had shreded one completely off and never chased down all the pieces. Looking forward to running this summer!
Attached Thumbnails Taking the Prowler apart-dsc02032.jpg   Taking the Prowler apart-dsc02034.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Registered

more
Attached Thumbnails Taking the Prowler apart-dsc02017.jpg   Taking the Prowler apart-dsc02020.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Registered

few more before putting it all together
Attached Thumbnails Taking the Prowler apart-dsc02038.jpg   Taking the Prowler apart-dsc02039.jpg  
Old 04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

kwooley is it hard navigating from destin to perdido? How deep is the water? We are going to Destin in June. Any good restaurants along the way on the water?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigboat28
kwooley is it hard navigating from destin to perdido? How deep is the water? We are going to Destin in June. Any good restaurants along the way on the water?
The channel is pretty easy to navigate; closer to perdido there is a narrow part of the channel (island on one side, shore on the other) you will know exactley what Im talking about when you go through it; it takes a couple of turns just before the no wake zone in perdido; couple of sections where the bay's are pretty big (Pensacola Bay can throw some nice rollers); STAY IN THE CHANNEL it can get shallow pretty fast. Just pull up google earth a couple of times before you make the run, you can see the channel pretty well.

Places to eat.... Juana's is in Navarre, great place to go, you can beach the boat there (dock also if you prefer). First bridge you go under after Brooks Bridge is Navarre, go under the brdge and take a hard left you will see it, you can go slow and watch depth. That is where we stop.

Pensacola has some good places and so does Orange Beach. I am more familiar with the places in OB. Tacky Jacks and Pirates Cove are two good ones.

Ill be down in Destin the weekend of June 19th, staying at Bay towne wharf.

let me know if I can help with anything.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

We are coming down to Destin on a family vacation june 20-27. Staying at Waterview.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.