Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
FNG Question 2 tow 31' sonic >

FNG Question 2 tow 31' sonic

Notices

FNG Question 2 tow 31' sonic

Old 04-22-2002, 10:32 AM
Tourist

Default FNG Question 2 tow 31' sonic

I don't see much activity on the towing and trailers board so I want to throw this one out for responses. I need something new to pull my 31SS. I'm looking at a Hummer with a 6.5 dsl. and tow package. Has anyone had experience with them. My concern was the shorter wheel base then a long bed dually. I really don't have much use for a truck other than to pull the boat. I appreciate any insight.

Jerry

Old 04-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Welcome Tourist.

I grew up in DeMotte, and Payton from this board lives in DeMotte.

I tow a 26' Sonic with a 2Dr 350 Tahoe, and the 350 would do fine with 4.10 gears, however the wheelbase is too short. Wheelbase is very important in the towing game to avoid the bouncing. If I were you, I would go for a brand new Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab, with the Duramax Deisel, and the Allison Tranny. This is hands down the BEST towing package out there anywhere, with second place being a Ford with a PowerStroke Diesel. If you go for the dually, it would be a little better with sway control, but then it is tough to see the trailer tires when towing. It also costs more. I am willing to bet that Hummer will cost you as much as a brand new truck I described; and the Duramax/Allison has a 100K MILE WARRANTY. That 6.5 GM Turbo Diesel in the Hummer is a dog, and way underpowered, HP wise. It does have torque, and will run for a long time, but there is much better technology out there today. I would post a thread under the main General Discussion board, and ask if anyone has any experience towing with the Hummer model and drivetrain you mention. There should be several people with inputs.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:06 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Where the heck is Lake Dalecarlia??

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-22-2002 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to answer some questions.

Where are you going to tow to?

How far?

How often?

You live in a fairly flat area, and a 350 engine should do well around there, but not win any races. (not that the hummer has a 350, but for reference sakes)

If you are not going to be pulling far, fast, and often, go with the Hummer and have a good time.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not heard great things about the Hummer. I tow my 31 with an F-350 Supercab Longbed Deisel. If I could do it again I would buy either 4 door short bed or 4 door short bed dually. Both in a deisel of course. Engine noise is not bad and has tons of torque. Thes trucks ride great and are comfortable. Or look into a deisel Excursion.

Good luck
Old 04-22-2002, 02:35 PM
Tourist

I kept the boat up in New Buffalo, MI until now. I will probably just run the 45 miles back and forth to New Buffalo to put in Lake Michigan. Mostly highway miles.

I'm trying to avoid a NEW truck. I don't want to lose my shorts in depreciation. I have looked at a bunch of used stuff and most of it looks pretty beat. Seems like all I find at washed up trucks from contractors.

Lake Dalecarlia is about 15 min. from Demotte. Take 231 to route 2, then at the McDonalds go North a few miles to the 'T'. It's right in front of you. It's a small (300 acre) private lake. 110HP limit on the lake.

Would like to find a few people to run with this summer on Lake Michigan. We are out nearly every decent day.

I'll post on the gen. forum.

Thanks for the advice.

Jerry-Total Chaos

Old 04-22-2002, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 6.5 Diesel

I towed out of Miami with a 6.5 to michigan
with a 31 sonic Said I would never do it again.

Gutless, However after running Cummins & Powerstroke I would do it again in a heartbeat.

The 6.5 is nice just cruising around but when you need it for towing it lets you down. If you have never been in a Cummins or Powerstroke you might be satisfied.

I believe that is why Chevy finally switch to Duramax. To try to share the market with ford and Dodge.

Don't mean to hurt anyones feelings
Just my opinion.

Cougarman
Old 04-23-2002, 11:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys i have a 2001 f250 super duty crew cab, powerstroke 4x4 ,4inch lift, and 35inchtires. I think its great truck i have a ton of friends that have them and they love the powerstroke. I use mine to tow mark in so.md sonic all the time and tows it like its nothing i would recommend the ford to anybody that asks. Bobby
Old 04-23-2002, 11:40 AM
bn
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend a Chevy 2500 or 3500 HD. I have a 2500 HD with the 6.0 and I tow my 35 Sonic with no problem. A friend of mine has the same truck as me and he tows his 32 Thunder with no problems. And another friend tows his 36 Outlaw with a 2500 HD Duramax diesel. He loves it.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:05 AM
jb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as bn could testify, a 3/4 ton xcab long bed or crew cab would be nice. Diesel if its your thing. Then decide if you like ford or chevy. There are enough people for either who will tell you theirs is the best way to go.
Drive them both.
A 1/2 ton would not be enough...safely
Batboatracer has/had a hummer, he could help

Quick Reply: FNG Question 2 tow 31' sonic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.