31SS Battery Replacement >

31SS Battery Replacement

Notices

31SS Battery Replacement

Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 31SS Battery Replacement

So I have to replace the batteries in the boat because the dealer left the original 2007 batteries in and one is weak, won't hold a charge and won't crank the port engine without the switches in the "both" position. What batteries are everyone having success with ? One starting / one deep cycle combo ? I understand that the onboard 30 amp shore power charger outputs too much voltage for the gel batteries, is this the case ? I had Interstate dual purpose marine batteries in my last boat and over 3 seasons they never failed me.

Suggestions please ?

Steve
Old 08-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Registered

I bought 31 series battery trays and installed 31 series batteries in my old 31ss. It worked much bettter.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 45SS
I bought 31 series battery trays and installed 31 series batteries in my old 31ss. It worked much bettter.
Did you use dual purpose batteries or deep cycles or mix and match with one starting and one deep cycle ?

Steve
Old 08-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Optima blue top batteries...reliable every time. I replaced both mine with these. The inboard charger is not setup to charge agm batteries on my model
Old 08-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I just bought a pair of Delco Voyagers. 780MCA starting batteries. They last quite a while, you just have to be carefull not to fully discharge them like you can a deep cycle battery. I would rather buy normal batteries more often than rely on more expensive batteries longer. I paid less than $70 each.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what size batteries you have but Interstate has a 1000 MCA "starting" battery for $90 . From what I've heard if each battery is dedicated to a motor, you really aren't supposed top be using deep cycles, if you have a third "house" battery for stereo ect. deep cycle is what you want. Steve
Old 08-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is problem with using a deep cycle as a dedicated battery? Will it cause problems?
Old 08-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MDsteve410
Did you use dual purpose batteries or deep cycles or mix and match with one starting and one deep cycle ?

Steve

Hey Steve,
I didnt have a chance to meet you on Saturday at the BB Tiki Bar but saw your boat, looks nice, Congrats on the New Purchase....
I was on my buddies 35 Outlaw running home to Turkey Point with you in the Bay that evening...
I will introduce myself the next time I see you down the Marina..
Pat