more range with the small blocks, but where you
are from the 200 mile range of the big blocks
should be sufficient.

Congrats on your choice!
Old 10-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

steve you should make the conn river run sunday with all the boys. maybe someone will see your boat thats moving up from one of the smaller river boats the 18foot to 22 foot boats. you could have fun and sell it. about the motors man if you could swing the 502s go for it. running 80 plus is the balls once in a while. 70 to 75 gets old fast Iwas upgrading my old boat until I hit mid 80s and loved it now I hope to break a 100 with the new boat. for wear and tear the 377s would be working more to push the boat into the 70s or cruising at 60. the 502s or 525s would running with less strain. if it was me I would go with the 502s and in 3 years if I love the boat I would up grade to blowers for 700 hp to 750hp and it would be cheaper than a set of 525s. for drives get the bravo x or xr don't get the stock bravo1. the bravo x has a tower in it like the xr but, the gears in the xr are straight cut stronger but wear out earlier than x gears I was told by Pete I think it was. xr is stronger though. I think ernie/mike/dan/pete are all going tomorrow down to old saybrook and drop in under rt 95. look in the northeast section. congrats I am taking out my motor today so we can put the thinner gas tank in so the blower pulleys will fit. Gerry and I talked about bringing the turbine skater to the river but by water it would be 2grand in fuel and we would need wide load permit plus can not drive on the road after 12 on sundays. see yah ART
Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

You should at least make sure the boat is built with hydraulic steering. It would be a nightmare to go back and try to plumb that into the boat after it's built. If the boat is ever going to run over 70 MPH you are going to NEED IT. I had a 2003 31 built for me with 500EFI'S it's a beautifully balanced boat. I you can find the funds to up grade the power, you will be much happier in the long run.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely go with the 502's at minimum, I've got them in my AT and I wouldn't want any "less" power! Steve
Old 10-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 31 Sonic

well thank you guys for your help. I think you make my decision for me. I am looking forward to the new boat and the guys at Sonic could not be more accomadating.... Thanks Tony and Mike. OK... so will I go 80????? Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sp123
well thank you guys for your help. I think you make my decision for me. I am looking forward to the new boat and the guys at Sonic could not be more accomadating.... Thanks Tony and Mike. OK... so will I go 80????? Thanks again.
PM me your address, and I will send you a cd and video
of my 31SS build. It is a great thing to watch your boat
being built! I have my boat serviced at the factory. So
when they are building I will take some pictures for you.

Warren
Old 10-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sp123
I know this is not an apples for apples comparison but with twin 575sci's, on our best day... 94.3mph is what we hit. I have the mills out right now in and currently being refreshed. Just installed the new roller cams and junked the flat tappets, sending the ecm's out for reflash this week. Had a hand full of other changes but should be seeing the triple digit mark no problem....

We estimate somewhere around the 725hp zone per motor....
Old 10-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Registered

Please post pics of the build! Not too many new boat builds in the moderate sizes going on, congrats!

Any other options you're going with you want to share?

Any thought to going with custom motors? Not sure on prices exactly, but would think it wouldn't be hugely more expensive to get over 500 hp a side from a reputable custom builder than the Merc 8.2's?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by teamsynergy
I know this is not an apples for apples comparison but with twin 575sci's, on our best day... 94.3mph is what we hit. I have the mills out right now in and currently being refreshed. Just installed the new roller cams and junked the flat tappets, sending the ecm's out for reflash this week. Had a hand full of other changes but should be seeing the triple digit mark no problem....

We estimate somewhere around the 725hp zone per motor....
Keep us up to date on this....sounds great!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by upstate31sonic
Keep us up to date on this....sounds great!!!
Will do. Will be a couple weeks till they are done but should be worth the wait. Hope the weather holds out for a bit more....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.