Prowler Prop >

Prowler Prop

Notices

Prowler Prop

Old 11-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Prowler Prop

Has anyone tried a Maximus Prop on a Prowler yet?

Just ordered some Raylar parts for a bit of an upgrade on a 496ho. Gone for Forged rotating gear (crank, rods, pistons etc) Also 205 cam and a few other bits as advised by Ray. Not done anything top end of engine yet but may do head and inlet manifold in the future. Expecting maybe 50 hp increase so looking at re propping.

Has anyone done simular? Interested in anybodies comments regarding props. Currently running 22p Bravo 1 which seems bang on for revs with stock ho engine.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

50hp with just a cam? Or are the pistons higher compression?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
50hp with just a cam? Or are the pistons higher compression?
I believe pistons are same compression just with a deeper valve relief cut out, was give a rough indication by Raylar that the 203 cam would give about 25hp and the 205 cam would give about 50hp. To be honest I don't know and my reason for upgrade is due to a bottom end failure anything gained with the cam is just a bonus that I didn't really start out looking for. I am however interestest in gathering opinions to help with prop set up.

Last edited by simon1401; 11-13-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I'd suggest baseline with a 24P B1 4 blade. This is what I ran on my 1999 Sonic 26' with a HP500EFI.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Thats a good gain for a cam. I assume a reflash of the ecm is also involved. If not it needs to be. But Ray knows what he's doing from what I've read, you will probably do well working with him. Yours and another friends project has me thinking about cams and a reflash this winter.

I assume your drive is 1.5 ratio. Sydwayz is right about the 24 being a good baseline.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Thats a good gain for a cam. I assume a reflash of the ecm is also involved. If not it needs to be. But Ray knows what he's doing from what I've read, you will probably do well working with him. Yours and another friends project has me thinking about cams and a reflash this winter.

I assume your drive is 1.5 ratio. Sydwayz is right about the 24 being a good baseline.
Have to admit a little confused on the ecm reflash at the moment. Seems like Ray was implying it was needed on my first chat with him which was an enquiry but when I came to ordering parts he said it would be ok as is??? At the moment I have to wait for parts to get shipped to Uk (where I am) then I have engine to rebuild and some cold winter months to pass so I will clarify this again with him before the end.

Thinking along the lines of a bravo 1 24p myself but would be interested how a maximus would perform on the Prowler.

My goal is a comfortable 50mph cruising speed with a moderate amount of weight in the boat. Currently I am around 60 top speed give or take a little. So 50 is too balls out for cruising speed at the moment.

As you said all the good things written about Raylar give a lot of confidence. For all I know 50hp maybe optimistic sales talk but it seems the guy is the Merc 496 "Guru" so I am more than confident of a good engine at the end of it whatever the actual hp figures.

At the moment 40 to 45mph feels a nice cruise speed to be kind to the engine but 50 seems the right speed for the boat to get up over the top of the chop to smooth things out.

Thanks for your input, it's these things that help get the setup right. More thoughts appreciated!

Also I guess the drive is 1.5:1 came to me with boat and had no decals. Pressume its the original one fitted by Sonic and it has the same pitch prop as the other simular aged 496 powered Prowlers. Will get around to checking this at some point.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about the Maximus, but I tried my buddies 5 blade Hydomotive and I didn't care for it. I think they hook up "too" good with 5 blades and don't allow any slip when getting on plane. Now, I'm talking about the Prowler hull, which is no champ in jumping on plane. 5 blades are great, but I didn't think it was the best choice for a Prowler. I had a 525 EFI in mine and ran a "left" hand rotation 26" Bravo I. Hope that helps some. Steve
Old 11-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 509 SC
Not sure about the Maximus, but I tried my buddies 5 blade Hydomotive and I didn't care for it. I think they hook up "too" good with 5 blades and don't allow any slip when getting on plane. Now, I'm talking about the Prowler hull, which is no champ in jumping on plane. 5 blades are great, but I didn't think it was the best choice for a Prowler. I had a 525 EFI in mine and ran a "left" hand rotation 26" Bravo I. Hope that helps some. Steve
Good info, helping to build a picture. Looking like the Bravo1 24p as the other guys have said is the way ahead.

Thanks
Si
Old 11-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 509 SC
I had a 525 EFI in mine and ran a "left" hand rotation 26" Bravo I. Hope that helps some. Steve
Do you recon the "Lefty" did anything noticeabe?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by simon1401
Do you recon the "Lefty" did anything noticeabe?
Yes I did, I found that at slower cruising speeds 30-45 mph the boat would list to the left due to the torque from the engine. I would have to drag the port tab about 2 clicks more to level the boat. That's why Formula, Fountain and I think Velocity equip their single engine boats with left hand rotation props from the factory. If you borrow a left hand prop you simply run the shifter backwards to try it out, if you decide to switch to a left hand, you pull the control and change the position where the cable attaches to the shifter, nothing else to buy! Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Steve