Need Help... Drain(s) Clogged >

Need Help... Drain(s) Clogged

Notices

Need Help... Drain(s) Clogged

Old 09-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help... Drain(s) Clogged

As most of the east coast knows Hurricane Irene came thru and then the left overs of Lee. With these storms coming through, of course my sonic got rained on. Once all this was cleared I went to see how much water was in the boat and to my surpise nothing was in the bilge had very little(enough that the bilge pump was only on for about 5 sec) but when I looked in the cuddy I found water pulling around the step and that the drain hole was filled. I looked in the port side storage comp(where refrig is on some models) and also found water where a drain is. Because of this clogged I ended up pumping almost 12 gallons of water out of the boat. I tried to unclogged the drain and was unsuccessful. I bought the boat 2 yrs ago and im pretty sure 12 gallons of water isnt just from these past 2 years. Im very meticulous and constantly keep the bilge and the rest of the boat spotless. Does anybody have any ideas on how to unclogged the drain(s) or have ever had the problem as well?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost all "drains " on a Sonic with the exception of sinks drain into the bilge. If u can get access to the drains try to use a screw driver or similar tool to see if you can clear the drain hole. If it is clogged hard you may have to use a drill bit BUT be careful. Over time the dust and scrap pieces from building the boat and maybe anything small (dirt, sand, bottle caps plastic bags etc.) that may have been stored in a compartment can block off the hole for drainage.

All else fails bring me the boat this fall and I'll look at it

Bill
Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Bill, there are PVC tubes up the keel of the boat aren't there? Can one run a fish tape up the tubes to clear them?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Bill, there are PVC tubes up the keel of the boat aren't there? Can one run a fish tape up the tubes to clear them?
Yes, there is as far as I know and a fish tape will work.

Under the sinks and between the seats there is just open holes for drainage between the bulkheads, its open area, easy to get to and see the holes.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Registered

Do you have pull up cleats on your model. I had lots of water getting into mine through the cleats. Mainly from front cleats forward of speaker bulkhead where it used to fill up and then run down under the matress.

I made drains for the cleats and T'ed the centre ones into the sink drains and added a very small 3/8" skin fitting into the front compartment for the drains off the front cleats forward of the bulkhead. This has stopped 95% of the water getting into the cabin. I still have a little getting in past the navigation light which I am yet to resolve.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Just curous, whats it cost you to fill that up if your in England ? Isnt gas like close to $10.00 gallon over there ?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

No pop up cleats on my boat. There are two drains molded into the keel and I believe that is where the drain is. I believe it is clogged up underneath the cockpit and cant seem to get it unclogged. It appears that over the years junk has just built up at the start of these pipes which is going to take some time to get loose. We are pulling the motor this fall which might make it easier to work on.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked with your dad today, we'll figure it out when I get the boat after the engine is out.

All else fails we'll just drill a hole in the hull so you won't have that problem anymore

Last edited by 45sonic; 09-22-2011 at 09:15 PM.