Water System Problem

Notices

Water System Problem

Old 10-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Solved

So it looks like Bruce was spot on with this one. I went down to the boat yesterday afternoon and started poking around in the storage compartment under the sink on the port side of the cabin. When I pulled back the carpet to the rear of the compartment I found an access panel that led into the void space under the port glovebox/cooler (1st pic).

Once I removed the panel (3 screws) I was glad to see the water tank and hoses with what looked to be easy access (2nd Pic).

The closer I looked however I realized that I could get to the fill and vent tubes easily but that the out line was tucked under the cockpit floor (under the well leading into the cabin). I could barely reach my arm in there and could not get to the 90 that the hose was connected to.

Before I went any further I decided to test the pump and make sure that it was not bad. I cut the hose leading to the pump, added a piece of hose to the pump side and stuck it into the tank. I turned the pump on and it ran fine for several minutes so I was confident that it was not the problem.

I went to West Marine and grabbed a 1/2 threaded to 3/8 hose fitting (couldn't find a 90), a 5/8 to 3/8 reducer, 3 feet of 3/8 hose and a tube of epoxy.

My fix for this was to replace the vent 1/2 threaded to 5/8 hose 90 with about 2 feet of the 3/8 house epoxied inside of the threaded end of the new fitting and insert the hose into the tank as far as it would go. I hooked the previously cut pump in hose to the new fitting and turned the pump on to test it. The pump ran for several minutes and held pressure when the faucet was closed. I then used the 5/8 to 3/8 reducer to connect the 5/8 vent tube to the tank side of the previously cut out hose to use as the new tank vent (3rd & 4th pic). I ran the pump again for several minutes until the tank was empty with no problems.

I am gonna run it like this and see how well it works but so far it seems like a good fix. My only other option would be to cut a hole in the floor to access the other 90 from the tank.

Thanx for all of the help and hopefully this will help someone else in the future as well.
Attached Thumbnails Water System Problem-2011-10-07-15.56.58-large-.jpg   Water System Problem-2011-10-07-15.58.36-large-.jpg   Water System Problem-2011-10-07-18.58.30-large-.jpg  

Water System Problem-2011-10-07-18.58.39-large-.jpg  

Last edited by Smitty1035; 10-08-2011 at 06:25 PM.