Water System Problem

Notices

Water System Problem

Old 10-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water System Problem

I have a 2004 Sonic 358 Diablo and I am having an issue with my water system. With a full tank of water everything will work fine and all of the outlets flow water. After about 30 seconds to a minute later the pump will change tone and the water acts like the tank is empty. I checked the vent line in case maybe it had been clogged but it will spit water when the tank is filled up.

A friend of mine mentioned that possibly the tank has a dip hose that may have fallen into the tank not allowing water to be pulled out. I have been searching unsuccessfully for the tank and I fear that it may be under the cockpit floor.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Registered

The 42 & 45's, the tank is on the port side between the inner cockpit liner and the outer hull between the storage compartments with the sliding doors in the hull side. Try looking there on the 35. The sides of the tank are usually covered in the same material they cover the insides of the storage lockers- depending on where there are.

The tanks ( I have 2 on my 45 ) are aluminum. The fitting should be a barb fitting out of the tank, with a rubber hose and a hose clamp holding the hose on the fitting. Mine are plumbed from the bottom side of the tanks. I would assume your tank is the same.

Maybe your motor is going bad ? As far as I know there is only one pump that supplys water to the galley sink, head sink, head itself, and the transom shower if you have one.

If you know where the pump is I would put a volt meter and an amp meter on the power wires and see what changes occur when the situation you describe arises. I would bet the internal diaphram in the pump is going, loosing its prime.

I would bet the pump is going bad.

Last edited by 45Tripps; 10-02-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I sure hope it is just the pump. I have been all over the boat to include pulling the refrigerator out (found the insti heat hidden in there) and checking the storage bins to the left and right of the cockpit. I have traced the in and out from the pump and they seem to go to a void between the cockpit and the cabin below the glovebox/cooler. The fill hose also goes into the same area under the helm. I plan on calling the factory this week in hopes that they will be able to give me a better idea.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your loosing the prime at the pump. Mine did this when low (not empty). make sure your lines going into and out of the pump have not come loose and that the wing nuts are not cracked. I know if I run mine dry it will not prime itself, I have to loosen one of the wing nuts while the pump is running in order for it to catch prime and tighten it up quickly, then it seems good to go the rest of the time.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by vettex1
Sounds like your loosing the prime at the pump. Mine did this when low (not empty). make sure your lines going into and out of the pump have not come loose and that the wing nuts are not cracked. I know if I run mine dry it will not prime itself, I have to loosen one of the wing nuts while the pump is running in order for it to catch prime and tighten it up quickly, then it seems good to go the rest of the time.
I am gonna check that this weekend when I head down to the boat. I may try and hook up an external hose to the pump and see if it pumps from another source like a bucket or the creek. I sure hope this is the case cuz I just have that feeling that if not it is going to be a pain in the azz to fix and its not like I can wait til spring cuz I have to get that water out of there. At least the pump is easily accessible.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered

i hear you.........good luck.

I'm having a problem right now with my septic tank, i can only get the first 5 or so gallons to pump out, then nothing else will come out. it still pulls air/suction through the overflow line, you can hear and feel it if you put your hand over the overflow, just nothing will come out. if you put water back into the tank it takes 5-gallons or so and then overflows. this one has me stumped. going up tonight to run a snake down and have a buddy come up who owns a septic company and pump me out with his truck, hopefully we won't collapse the tank, that's one mess i don't want to have.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty1035
I sure hope it is just the pump. I have been all over the boat to include pulling the refrigerator out (found the insti heat hidden in there) and checking the storage bins to the left and right of the cockpit. I have traced the in and out from the pump and they seem to go to a void between the cockpit and the cabin below the glovebox/cooler. The fill hose also goes into the same area under the helm. I plan on calling the factory this week in hopes that they will be able to give me a better idea.
If you can get to the in and out lines, you can blow air with a compressor thru the the outline to clear the lines of water. Just make sure the sink faucets are turned on open. Use about 40 PSI of air. I do this every year with my inground sprinkler system. Never a problem.

You can also connect the in & out hoses togather, bypassing the pump, and try to make a air tight seal at the filler neck, and use compressed at the same 40 PSI and pressurize the system, and blow the remaining water thru the system that way.

Dump a few gallons in the toilet and flush it too....

I keep mine inside year round on the trailer when not on the water, but still winterize too to be safe. I feel your pain though.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Update

I spoke with Bruce from the factory earlier this afternoon and he said it is what I had originally suspected. He said that the tank has a PVC dip tube that goes down inside of the tank and it has more than likely fallen into the tank from bouncing around. Both of the tanks on my 35 are on either side of the center stringer about midship and are formed to the angle of the hull just before the small well on the cockpit side of the cabin door. There is no direct access to the water tank because it is on the port side of the stringer. He said I should be able to access it through the compartment under the sink with a little cutting or maybe through the access panel to the holding tank. The holding tank is accessible from behind the helm through the bathroom access door.

Vettex1...this may be your problem as well. Bruce said that you can access the holding tank by removing the board under the helm where the A/C unit would be. Once you get access to the tank the fill and pump out should be next to each other and has a ninety that can be screws out once you disconnect the hose. Once you have the ninety removed you can connect a hose to it with the proper length to reach the bottom of the tank. Hope this helps.

I have dealt with Bruce on several occasions and he has always been extremely helpful and always willing to do what he can to help. Good customer service like that is hard to find now days especially in a tough industry like this.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered

Maybe check the basics first. I have a Jabsco ParMax 2+, which is the 4 small disc style pump. It did the same thing, ran fine and just quit pumping(still ran and ran). I pulled the assembly out (inlet/filter/pump/diaphragm/outlets) and tried dumped into a bucket, still no pump.
Turns out the check valves in these pumps go bad and this is the result. Bought a new valve kit for $28, installed, works perfect.
Also check if you do have an inlet strainer that it's not plugged.
Definately check your pump and inlet strainer before you cut your boat up.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Registered

Thanks Smitty......I'll check this out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.