Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
Rub Rail >

Rub Rail

Notices

Rub Rail

Old 10-11-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rub Rail

Putting together my "winter to-do list", & one thing I'm planning to do is to remove the rub rail to tighten up a small section that has gotten a little loose, & to resilicone the seams. It appears, that it is two separate pieces...My question, does it simply peel out of the section mounted to the hull, & then I'm guess that a soft mallet will reinstall it nicely...Or is this a much tougher task?

As for the silicone in the seams...Is this just a good 100% silicone that is used? Or is it a special marine grade silicone?

Thanks for any input...

Last edited by rangerrick63; 10-11-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 10-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The insert does just pull out. As far as reinstalling it, that depends on who you ask. I found it was really easy. Laid the insert on the driveway in the sun to get it warm, then with another person start at the stern and work your way around one side or the other. I used Simple Green on the channel and a small no bounce hammer with a large blade flat screwdriver and was able to install about 3 feet at a time. then had to move the ladder.

Silicone --- get the best non mildew type you can find.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

I have the number for the company that use to supply the insert to sonic or still do but im at work now and ill post it when i get home saved me about 100 bucks ordering it from them as far as installing it it took me about 2 hrs on a 31 and one in front heating it up slightly with a heat gun and then i would tuck the bottom lip in then press the top in with my fingers then i took a rubber mallet zipped tied a clean towel around it and tapped the center of the insert and you see it expand walk in the park ill post the # tonight hope this helps
Old 10-14-2011, 11:48 AM

Awesome tips...sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult...I'll have to keep the "cooler" close...

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Badshaw
I have the number for the company that use to supply the insert to sonic
I have the info listed in a previous thread. I think a 100' roll cost me about $225. That was enough to do the boat with extra to spare.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Registered

Could you provide the phone # ? I need to replace the insert as well, thanks...