31SS Sonic spinning IN??? >

31SS Sonic spinning IN???

Notices

31SS Sonic spinning IN???

Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 31SS Sonic spinning IN???

I have a 31 with 525sc's spinning 4 blade 30 Bravo's. Every single Sonic I have seen has the props spinning out, yet most other boat manufacturer's spin their props IN to maximize top end speed. Has anyone tried swapping the drives on a 31 to spin in? If so, what were the results???
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Prop Tart
I have a 31 with 525sc's spinning 4 blade 30 Bravo's. Every single Sonic I have seen has the props spinning out, yet most other boat manufacturer's spin their props IN to maximize top end speed. Has anyone tried swapping the drives on a 31 to spin in? If so, what were the results???
You do not need to swap the drives.

Go out with the props reversed and test, your shifters will be backwards but it will not harm anything, can make docking tough but not impossible.

If you like the results you can leave the props and change the cables on the controls. They are set up reverse of each other, swap the way they connect to the shifters and go.

Bravo drives are identical, the reversing is done with the controls.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Registered

My mechanic said the way the cables are set up on this boat a mere swap wouldnt work. Said it wasnt a major ordeal to swap the drives. Was just wondering if there are any gains to be made and if its worth the effort. may try running in reverse to test.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Registered

My mechanic said the way the cables are set up on this boat a mere swap wouldnt work. Said it wasnt a major ordeal to swap the drives. Was just wondering if there are any gains to be made and if its worth the effort. may try running in reverse to test.
If you just swap the drives the shafts will spin the exact same way. Get a new mechanic. The direction is determined by which way the cable moves
Old 02-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
if you just swap the drives the shafts will spin the exact same way. Get a new mechanic. The direction is determined by which way the cable moves
+1
Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4bus
If you just swap the drives the shafts will spin the exact same way. Get a new mechanic. The direction is determined by which way the cable moves
What he said. ^^^
Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Registered

ok, back to the original question. Regardless of what needs to be done to spin the props in, WILL IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE on top end? I want to hear from someone that has done it before I try it. I just find it odd that every single 31 Ive seen all spin out. I have friends with other boats and they all spin in.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Registered

ok, back to the original question. Regardless of what needs to be done to spin the props in, WILL IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE on top end? I want to hear from someone that has done it before I try it. I just find it odd that every single 31 Ive seen all spin out. I have friends with other boats and they all spin in.
For most boats in is faster, but can compromise handling and dock manners. I can't answer for a Sonic, but is it usually the rule.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I understand, spinning in is most beneficial to stepped and/or staggered boats. I tried it on my 31 with 496HO's and it made no difference in top speed or in docking. However, you have a lot more power. So, give the above mentioned method a try.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Registered

the boat presently gps' anywhere between 80.7 and 82.9 depending on load and conditions. I just want to squeeze a little more out of it before I have to resort to extension boxes and smaller pulleys on the blowers, lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.