anyone familiar with replacing the hard plastic part of the rub rail >

anyone familiar with replacing the hard plastic part of the rub rail

Notices

anyone familiar with replacing the hard plastic part of the rub rail

Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone familiar with replacing the hard plastic part of the rub rail

When I bought my 358 (second owner) it came with some rub rail damage on the starboard side corner of the swim platform. I have bought all the material needed to replace the hard plastic the rub rail inserts in to. The soft rub rail insert should be fairly easy but has anyone replaced the hard plastic portion on the rub rail? If so what did it entail?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Registered

I have not done a Sonic but I believe they all are pretty much the same. Remove the soft rub rail from the protion of hard rail that you want to replace. You should find some of the screws that hold the upper and lower hull together. Remove those and cut out the section that needs to be replaced. Recommend that you cut the new section and the section that is on the boat at a 45° angle so they overlap. Depending on the fit you may want to put some white adhesive on them. The overlap gives more surface area for the adhesive to grab plus it will look smoother than a butt fit. Drill the new hard rail, if required, insert the screws and pop in the soft rail.

Ed
Old 02-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply Ed. On the 358 the back section of the hard portion of the rub rail is cut in 20 or 30 foot sections so I don't have to cut the hard portion of the rub rail. I just have to remove it and insert the new section I bought. The hard part is the hard rub rail section was wound up for shipping so I'm trying to figure out how to straighten and bend it around the corners. I am replacing the entire soft insert of the run rail as the other one has a few nicks in it.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hanzcap
Thanks for the reply Ed. On the 358 the back section of the hard portion of the rub rail is cut in 20 or 30 foot sections so I don't have to cut the hard portion of the rub rail. I just have to remove it and insert the new section I bought. The hard part is the hard rub rail section was wound up for shipping so I'm trying to figure out how to straighten and bend it around the corners. I am replacing the entire soft insert of the run rail as the other one has a few nicks in it.
Take a heat gun on LOW heat and apply heat as necessary to flaten. Also use it to bend it around the corners but be careful not to put too much heat on the gel coat. Also you should be able to put the roll in hot water and then straighten.

Ed