Seems like a good deal... 05' 358 w/525's >

Seems like a good deal... 05' 358 w/525's

Notices

Seems like a good deal... 05' 358 w/525's

Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seems like a good deal... 05' 358 w/525's

Been looking at upgrading from my Formula 311 to something in the 38 foot range. Want taller cabin like 6' tall and EFI motors. From previous threads it looks like sonic, black thunder, Donzi, and power quest have the tallest cabins that are 2000 and newer. Found this sonic for sale and it looks clean just wondering how they handle rough water seeing I was looking in the 38 foot range and this is 35 ft ?? 525's with extension boxes! Was curious as to why no steps?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...420k-101942189
Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we don't need no stinking steps, thats why! I've heard many different reasons why sonic's never came with steps. The main one is better handling in rough water which the boat was designed for.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

You will know why-the first time you get somewhere in rough water before the guy who's boat is 10 mph faster than yours.
Or as I overheard my friend say to someone last night "the ride in that boat is like the boat is 10' longer" just smiled
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my buddy put a deposit down on that 2005 358 w/ 525's................pictures all looked great...........honestly thought it was a slam dunk.....as the owner made it sound like it was cherry........
Knowing the boat had 300 hours he was prepared to put new headers on it......and try to sell the original headers assuming they checked out with a pressure test. New headers are 11kish....
So we drove out there, (950 miles)...............................and left with no boat.
Cosmetically, the boat was pretty clean.....paint is nice, a buff and wax would cherry it.
Interior - all the plastic is yellowing, meaning wet sand and buffing......
Cockit vinyl was on the dirty side.......needs a strong cleaning...Motors - in the pics - you can tell the strbd motor heated up by the discoloration of the header - wich is why the original owner put strainers and gages on......but in person its both set of headers that are discolored from high temps.......needs new headers anyway as they are original and with 300 it needs a top end rebuild. The headers look so bad in person they need to go in the garbage. No selling of the original headers...........
Drives - ITS's looked good, strbd drive is leaking lube, but the corrosion is in full process! Boat has seen plenty of salt water, and not cared for properly to prevent the effects from the environments. If your like me, you would want to pull the drives, sand, and paint. This was not evident in the photos we saw.
Trim Tabs - original owner put 380's on tha boat off a cigarette. They had the cig name on them! - So, again one would pull the tabs and grind away the cigarette name and spray.
So, mechanically - headers, valve job, fix a drive leak, sanding, painting, etc........and this was without starting the boat.....never got that far. The owner is not keen on scanning the motors - which led us to believe this boat has seen a lot of upper RPM driving......
Boat is realtively light on options.....has a fridge and shorepower........no air, heat, microwave, power seats, etc.........
Trailer - your standard Rocket trailer - might work for some, but i prefer a manning or myco........has load range D tires on it.......not E.
The pics on boat trader must be from 4 years ago.........................it currently sits under a tin roof, not a garage like he will tell you.
The best part of this was - the owner got PISSED with us as my buddy pointed out the concerns with the boat..............so, he kicked us off his property................he thinks the boat is mint and will tell you that.......
So - if you want a small restoration project for 85k, this boat is for you...........it will need some work.....
Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Registered

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I've decided to look at the 386s. Want a little more nose for rough water.

This one seems ideal, but I'm guessing probably to good to be true.

http://www.boatconnection.com/Page.a...-Boat-386.aspx
Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kjberman
So my buddy put a deposit down on that 2005 358 w/ 525's................pictures all looked great...........honestly thought it was a slam dunk.....as the owner made it sound like it was cherry........
Knowing the boat had 300 hours he was prepared to put new headers on it......and try to sell the original headers assuming they checked out with a pressure test. New headers are 11kish....
So we drove out there, (950 miles)...............................and left with no boat.
Cosmetically, the boat was pretty clean.....paint is nice, a buff and wax would cherry it.
Interior - all the plastic is yellowing, meaning wet sand and buffing......
Cockit vinyl was on the dirty side.......needs a strong cleaning...Motors - in the pics - you can tell the strbd motor heated up by the discoloration of the header - wich is why the original owner put strainers and gages on......but in person its both set of headers that are discolored from high temps.......needs new headers anyway as they are original and with 300 it needs a top end rebuild. The headers look so bad in person they need to go in the garbage. No selling of the original headers...........
Drives - ITS's looked good, strbd drive is leaking lube, but the corrosion is in full process! Boat has seen plenty of salt water, and not cared for properly to prevent the effects from the environments. If your like me, you would want to pull the drives, sand, and paint. This was not evident in the photos we saw.
Trim Tabs - original owner put 380's on tha boat off a cigarette. They had the cig name on them! - So, again one would pull the tabs and grind away the cigarette name and spray.
So, mechanically - headers, valve job, fix a drive leak, sanding, painting, etc........and this was without starting the boat.....never got that far. The owner is not keen on scanning the motors - which led us to believe this boat has seen a lot of upper RPM driving......
Boat is realtively light on options.....has a fridge and shorepower........no air, heat, microwave, power seats, etc.........
Trailer - your standard Rocket trailer - might work for some, but i prefer a manning or myco........has load range D tires on it.......not E.
The pics on boat trader must be from 4 years ago.........................it currently sits under a tin roof, not a garage like he will tell you.
The best part of this was - the owner got PISSED with us as my buddy pointed out the concerns with the boat..............so, he kicked us off his property................he thinks the boat is mint and will tell you that.......
So - if you want a small restoration project for 85k, this boat is for you...........it will need some work.....
Great story, I had almost the same experience, except I was able to look at the Boat in the yard before the owner came out of the house, same deal with the photos not telling the whole story, the other difference is, I flew from CA to FL then rented a car and searched the State for 7 days. I also got the same reaction from their asking price HaHa, I just drove away, a few caledl and lowered their price but it was too late. I was Gone !!! It was shocking to me of how trashed a 3-5yr old boat could get if not taken care of.
Originally Posted by s022mag
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I've decided to look at the 386s. Want a little more nose for rough water.

This one seems ideal, but I'm guessing probably to good to be true.

http://www.boatconnection.com/Page.a...-Boat-386.aspx
Umm Purple ? I would also pass on the 500's, be patient, "the one" will come around

Last edited by Groper; 11-12-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Registered

Here's another one that's got me confused, 500efi's, Bravo 1's, and no hydraulic steering?? On a 42SS

Seems over priced too
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o53370-en.html
Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I don't recall seeing 500's with ITS. And mid 60's with 500's is awful slow. The price is awful low. I'm OK with the purple, but something seems fishy with that add.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
I don't recall seeing 500's with ITS. And mid 60's with 500's is awful slow. The price is awful low. I'm OK with the purple, but something seems fishy with that add.
I had a friend go look at a boat from boat connection and the boat was not as described whatsoever. Be careful when dealing with that place. He drove 6 hours to only waste his time. Boat was not ready for test drive even after they told him it was. Lied about multiple things. Doesn't seem like their exactly stand up people. Anyways just be very careful if you decide to deal with them.

Last edited by 272bajadriver; 11-12-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
I had a friend go look at a boat from boat connection and the boat was not as described whatsoever. Be careful when dealing with that place. He drove 6 hours to only waste his time. Boat was not ready for test drive even after they told him it was. Lied about multiple things. Doesn't seem like their exactly stand up people. Anyways just be very careful if you decide to deal with them.
Yeah I'm guessing something ain't right. They've had that 340 PQ for sale for almost 3 yrs. Maybe I can have someone swing by that's close.