Considering a Sonic >

Considering a Sonic

Notices

Considering a Sonic

Old 12-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HyFive578
A friend of mine is selling his 35 Sonic.. in great condition with big power. runs low 90's.. if interested, PM me and I will put you in touch with him.. Also, I just traded my 38 Fountain to Outer Limits.. it's listed in the OSO classifieds... great turnkey boat with 525's and will run 88 all day long..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o54911-en.html
Had my eye on your boat when it was first listed nice graphics and looks clean, congrats on the 47. I don't think I'll be ready to move until spring when we can clear some funds, what kind of power is in your friends 35? I have been told that custom power can be problematic so I have been looking for stock Merc power mostly.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, you want a 386 or 45ss for a big cockpit. The cockpit is one of the main reasons I settled on a 38. Several cheap 38's on boat trader.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK26
Thanks for the input we boat the lake and IL river but I like the lake better especially when its smooth which isn't often. Truck is covered traded my F150 for a F350 diesel a few years ago knowing I wanted to move up.
If you still want to boat the river but also be comfortable on Lake Michigan (these were my same requirements) I would definately look into a Sonic 31SS. The 31 feels rather big on the river, I think a 35+ would feel like a whale in a fish tank on the river. However the 31 still rides fantastic on the Lake, I came out of a 27 fountain and couldnt be happier with my purchase.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had my eye on your boat when it was first listed nice graphics and looks clean, congrats on the 47. I don't think I'll be ready to move until spring when we can clear some funds, what kind of power is in your friends 35? I have been told that custom power can be problematic so I have been looking for stock Merc power mostly.
My 38 was VERY clean. Boat was very well maintained by both the previous owner and myself. Will make someone a great boat. As for my friends Sonic, it has twin 750's from JC Performance. I know he also redid the cabin and has maintained it like a fiend... he's also being pretty reasonable about the price; he just bought a new boat..
Old 12-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Davek26 , the sonic mentioned above is mine. If your looking for a good boat give me a call
Bill 516-369-1986
Old 12-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ttuton
I have heard the 35 is very picky about trim settings. I dont know of any inherent problems with the brand. U may need a bigger truck depending on what you have now, 35-38 sonics are pretty heavy. Good luck with your search, you will love a Sonic on the big pond!
The 35 is but it is also very controlable. It will start to porpous and you just tap adjust and done. I really don't feel it's a problem since it is an easy fix.

My 358 with 496 HO's is good high 60's so far is the best I have done. I would strech and say 70/71mph but I have yet to get it there and I have not had a extra flat day to run it. I got 68 on a light chop day in the gulf.

The cabin is HUGE and filled with all the extras you could want to overnight as well. The cabin is what sold me off a fountain and into a Sonic.

You will need a bigger truck though. I had my Escalade and sold it within of week of getting the boat for a Diesel Excursion and it was needed for sure.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Looking for some info and experience with 35 and 38 foot Sonics. I am currently in a 26 Outlaw and looking to move up to something with more room and creature comforts for over nights, the cabins I've seen look huge compared to other brands. I am not too concerned with top speed but am still curious what a 35 will run with 500's or 525's. I read lots of posts about the boats being good in rough water so I assume the hulls are solid? Are there any inherent problems with the boats or anything to look for when shopping for used? I like to boat Lake Michigan from Chicago but my 26 gets killed most days. I'm also looking at Baja, Fountain, and Formula but want to learn as much as I can. thanks
I went from a 24' Outlaw to a 31' Sonic and loved it!

Colleague bought my 31' Sonic about 10 years ago and is still
Running it with 700's in it.

Can't beat the room in any of the Sonic's and the walk around Deck takes the cake on just
about any boat out there.

Airborne pictures are when I owned it,...the following are under my Colleague's ownership.

Friend of mine still has is 41' also,...they are great in the rough on Lake Michigan too.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Considering a Sonic-jon_h_1990_31_sonic_01.jpg   Considering a Sonic-jon_h_1990_31_sonic_02.jpg   Considering a Sonic-mlane_01.jpg  

Considering a Sonic-mlane_02.jpg   Considering a Sonic-mlane_03.jpg  

Last edited by cougarman; 12-17-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 212 Likes on 84 Posts

I was the one who hired JC Simon to design my latest race boat in 1977. That boat turned out to be my 38 foot Top Banana. The design was made so that a plug could be put in the mold and 34 footers could be made out of the same mold. The first boat was made by my boat co....Banana Boat Co. www.bananaboatco.com

Later I allowed JC Simon to make Coyotes out of the same molds. After a few years, he sold the molds to Sonic and they added a swim platform and my 38 footer became a 42 footer.

Film of the boat running and winning the Bushmills Offshore race is on you tube. Put in the search engine ..... Bushmills 1979.

There is a lot of information on the website on both the 38 and the 34 footers. The 31 footers were from another designer, but they run really well in the rough also. I was on board a SS31 that won the 271 mile Around Long Island race a few years ago. Good boats.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

but they do not run like a Banana
Old 01-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
I was the one who hired JC Simon to design my latest race boat in 1977. That boat turned out to be my 38 foot Top Banana. The design was made so that a plug could be put in the mold and 34 footers could be made out of the same mold. The first boat was made by my boat co....Banana Boat Co. www.bananaboatco.com

Later I allowed JC Simon to make Coyotes out of the same molds. After a few years, he sold the molds to Sonic and they added a swim platform and my 38 footer became a 42 footer.

Film of the boat running and winning the Bushmills Offshore race is on you tube. Put in the search engine ..... Bushmills 1979.

There is a lot of information on the website on both the 38 and the 34 footers. The 31 footers were from another designer, but they run really well in the rough also. I was on board a SS31 that won the 271 mile Around Long Island race a few years ago. Good boats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79II-JbqI1k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.