Oil temp gauges

Notices

Oil temp gauges

Old 07-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil temp gauges

My 386 has oil temp gauges, they never move off full cold. Gauges sweep when tested. My 496 HO's didn't come with factory oil temp sensors. I haven't been able to locate the sensors for these gauges. Does anybody know where Sonic installed the oil temp senders?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:07 AM
Registered

This has been discussed here before and I'm not sure anyone came up with a solid answer. My boat has the same gauges as your describing. Except mine do show temp when running for a while. Definatly less temp then water temp. Only problem is that my builder says my engines have no oil temp sensors.....??? If that's the case what the he** are these gauges reading ? Are they oil ? Are they Water at a different spot then the two main gauges ? or are they just back ups piggy backed off gauges ? I'm looking into this myself now and will hopefully figure it out. I want oil temp.......
Old 07-15-2015, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need oil temp my freinds not just want .. throw a sender off the oil filter pod .. need at least 215 to boil off water and condensation ... playing with fire .. good luck
Old 07-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They probably put the gauges in and never installed senders. The good news is it's very easy to install senders on a 496. Remove the oil filter housing, remove the filter, drill and tap 1/8NPT hole in the housing (be careful about where you drill so you don't interfere with the center post), install sender and run one wire. You will be monitoring oil temps before it runs through the cooler. The only bummer on my setup is my oil temp gauges do not match the rest of the vantage view gauges but there is not much I can do about that.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:10 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

They are definitely connected to something. Separate wires run into the conduit in the gunnel to the engine compartment. I haven't been able to locate the senders. Probably easiest to install new senders at the oil filters as Donzi Matt suggested.