outdrive >

outdrive

Notices

outdrive

Old 08-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
outdrive

I have a 2001 260 prowler with 502 mag efi and bravo outdrive. Sunday it started making a strange noise kind of like a turning shaft that is in a slight bind. I took it to the shop and they took the top cap off and found bits of metal. The boat has 91 hours on it and has not been abused. I thought most gear problems were a result of hitting something. Does anyone have experience with gears going bad in bravo drive?
Old 08-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Lots of people have problems with drives. Its not Sonic related. Its not if, but when. That motor and drive should have lasted you a long time. How far out do you trim it when running/cruising? How often do you change the drive fluid? Not accusing, just curious. Over trimming can over stress the drive. Other than that, it just looks like yours went bad early.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:10 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Are you running a drive shower? Don't feel bad, I blew a drive to smithereens, again no real reason to it. I couldn't get it into the shop for a week, so I took the boat out with it making noise and was rewarded with an 1.5 hour trip back on 1 motor. Luckily it was covered by warranty after much arguing with merc.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:12 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Like Sydwayz said, its not if, its when.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I broke both of mine this year. No real reason why. I get up on plane easy and didn't hit anything. No warning either, they just broke. I'm now a believer in extended warranties.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Registered

Default outdrive

I have only owned the boat since October, I had the drive pulled and serviced in the fall, fluid changed and realigned in the spring. Can't run it too hard I have an Infant that comes along (3 months old last weekend). I don't think I over trimmed the drive but I do try and keep the bow down for a smoother ride for the boy. Could have aggravated it but I am usually running 3200 rpm or less. I do not have a drive shower but I think I will put one on. I found out today that the top gear let go, I have passport warranty that I hope will cover most if not all of the repair. Does anyone have experience with warranty claims and passport?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well if it makes ya' feel any better...I started changin' em with the oil (haha)...seriously they sometimes just grenade. I've had it happen on brand new drives.

For giggles put a temp sensor on it and at least you get the wonderful opportunity to know before hand (slightly) when they are gonna' pop a duke on ya'.

...in the words of a very wise man "**** happens". Good luck bro' and welcome to the wonderful world of performance boating....ain't it great!
Old 08-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Put the shower on...every little bit helps.

PS: Congrats on the new one as well.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:31 PM
Registered

Some more helpful hints to save the drive is to shift in and out of gear under 1000 rpm throttle easy out of the hole bringing on plane slowly, in big water throttle back when the prop leaves the water and get back in the throttle when you re-enter.

Steve
Old 08-14-2003, 10:43 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. My last boat had a 350 mag with an alpha drive that gave no problems for 10 years. I guess I was just lucky with that one.

Quick Reply: outdrive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.