Prop info needed for 42ss

Notices

Prop info needed for 42ss

Old 09-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Prop info needed for 42ss

I am a little confused on my prop issue. My motors are generating 549hp. At present I am turning a 24 pitch prop. At full throttle drives trimmed to 4.5 to 5 I'm at 5000 rpm and running 69 gps speed. I have been told I should be running a 26 pitch prop. What will I gain or lose by going to a 26 or does anyone else that runs a 42 with bravo 1 have a tested setup.

Thanks
David

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 09-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type (brand) of prop?
Old 09-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No chit, 3 or 4 blade...lab or no? Drive type and ratio...equip set-up, torque etc, etc, etc...water, location etc, etc..............if you want input please supply DETAILS.

Go4Broke...how ya' doin big boy?
Old 09-14-2003, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sorry dude...just reread that, sounded harsh. Just ya' gotta supply a lot more data for anyone to help.

Party on....
Old 09-14-2003, 09:44 PM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry guys the props 4 blade 24 pitch mirage, 150 gear ration, Bravo one drive. Motors are the merc 500 carb rebuilt 549.5 hp each engine. Drive showers are installed . I also have drive temp gauges . Temp at 5000
rpm runs 225 degress and drops to 130 at 4000rpm. I have crossovers with sea strainers. Drives trimmed at 4.5 to 5 running at 5000 rpm generates 69 mph.

Thanks.

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 09-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vagrant,
That is all good and such but your not getting RPM. I assume you are running FW at about 1500EV correct? Check your X dim first, then get a set of REAL props, then turn your spin in. I hate to tell ya' this but with a loaded 42 with that HP....ya might get a couple (2-3) but that is about it...go make the water NASTY then kick the collective butts of anyone out there...(you WILL save money this way)you can email me at my address from this site if you like and I can supply input but if your looking for a serious speed gain...have your money deep and frequent.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:09 PM
TeamSonic42

All newer 42's running Bravo 1 Drives, 1.5 ratio, & twin 500 engines, all came with Bravo 1 24's. As far as I know Sonic has not changed the hull on the 42's, or the X-dimensions at all. The transome notches have become rounded, but thats it. Otherwise all the same boats, sans paint jobs, and interior/equipment/options outfitting. The 03 use the new infusion process, the 04's and newer will use infusion, Kevlar & carbon fiber, according to Richard Hewitt to make them lighter and stronger still. Some trip 42/45 have came with 26 & 28's depending on power. I have seen 30's with boxes.

I went from Hydromotive 4 Blade Quad IV props to Bravo 1 15.25 x 24 and increased my mid range cruise speed by 5 mph on my 42. The Hydro's were faster on the very top end, by a few mph, but the hole shot sucked ! Constant blow out. And couldnt plane at a lower rpm/speed as I do now with the B1's.

The B1 24's made a big difference. I would go with them.
Unless you lab them, your gonna turn about 5000rpm. Labbing them will give you a couple mph but thats it.

The B1's stay hooked up constantly. A much better prop. I have a set of 28's reworked to 27's that I am gonna try, but I suspect that I will loose top end even more. My cruise speed may go up slightly, but top end will be off.

Like Dano said, we're not as fast as the smaller Sonics with similar power, but when it gets nasty, we can run thru the big stuff and not flinch. They will have a rougher ride, and may not be able to keep up ( no offense guys ) If you want to run over 90, put some 900's in there. Full Tilt Marine had a 38 with 900's and she ran 106 with 6 drives ! Sonic currently has 3 tripple digit runners under construction, using N/A power !

If you need any other info, or would like to compare 42 info, let me know.

Last edited by TeamSonic42; 09-16-2003 at 07:17 PM.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:35 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Dano, doing well, thanks! Hoping to do some tweaking this winter, my computer is projecting 611hp, 681 tq with the mods I plan. Lisa's pregnant so hopefully my money doesn't end up going to a different "baby" than I planned! Do you think (if the computer is accurate) I could see 90 with that power?
How are you? Sell that wonderfull toy of yours yet?
Old 09-17-2003, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'd think you'd be very close...when you get to that HP seriously consider a gear ratio change. That hull runs very good with the 1.36 ratio and inward rotation, just need the ponies to push it. Ride quality is better and you'll save a lot of wear on your drives if your not spinning big wheels. When you get close to doing it give me a shout...I can save you a lot of time and money on what works and what doesn't (hehe). Congratulations to you and Lisa on the baby! Still have the beastie, in the midst of building a house and haven't had much time to play with it. Going to the FtL boat show?

TeamSonic 42 yup...if you get a set of props custom made from the 24's and remap the ECU you should get those 500's to spin 52-5300rpm which should be good for a couple on the top. Once the rpm's are up try spinning in and see if you can break some resisitance on the transom...never tried that on a 42 but it's worth a shot.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dano what props is Sonic running on the 31's now? I'm running Mirage plus 23 pitch that are labbed by York I'm spinning them 5100 at 73.9 mph is there anything better?
Don

Quick Reply: Prop info needed for 42ss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.