Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
stress cracks >

stress cracks

Notices

stress cracks

Old 12-10-2003, 03:15 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure not to get drunk at a Wampee bar before I buy a boat.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:01 PM
TeamSonic42

Hmmmm, only 3 posts & bashing Sonic. I could be wrong, but sounds like stirring the pot to me...

As for cracks on a Sonic.....show me a boat that doesnt have one, especially a high performance offshore type boat. It dont matter if the boat came from a lake or the ocean. If the previous owner beat the sh*t of of it, it will be worn & broke in some area's. You cant continually bash the boat over big sea's or large boat wakes and not hurt the boat eventually. Especially in a smaller boat.
There is a big difference in ride quality as size goes up, even in a 35 to 38, to 42 to 45. Its amazing....

I run my 42 thru almost any of everything, but I know when to take it easy, and what conditions, wakes, etc not to push hard thru, thats why my boat looks like brand new. Love Machine has seen her.

It all comes down to how the boat was taken care of and driven... As for Fountains, I like them, always have. But I dont want to get beat up, dont want to have to crawl around in the cabin, or use a porta potti, not to mention get wet when riding in big stuff. Thats why I bought Sonic, dont have any of those issues.

Some of them ( Fountains ) may be faster than us Sonic Owners, but runnin with us in rough, I know will we be in front. Have done & proven that many times. Done it with both N/A & blower boats, all 35 to 42ft Fountains, and they got the snot beat out of em in the rough....in the smoother water, they walked me, but I'm not about speed, 75 & up, I'm about comfort, ride quality, Style, Construction quality & ammenities. That is Sonic ! The boats you looked at must have been run very hard to cause that kinda damage. I have very few if any cracks. None around the cabin door. I wouldnt even call them cracks, more like small spider webbing in only a few areas. None on the dash, none around the door or in the cabin. Mainly around the drain areas on the first large deck hatch area.

As for Formula, way to plain, and dumb looking same ole paint schemes on every boat ( what, maybe 5, if that, factory paint scheme choices, you can tell a Fromula by the paint, same with Fountain ) no head room, very plain dash & guage layout, stupid exhaust exits. All my 02.... plus they are much quieter than boats of similiar power/exhaust due to their silent thunder exhaust system. I like noise, not silent thunder. They make a nice quality boat, just way to plain for the $$$$ in my opinion.

Good luck with your Fountain. If I HAD to choose between these 2, Fountain & Formula, I would go Fountain hands down, especially on the newer ones !

Again its all in how you take care of a boat as to her condition & cosmetic appearance. I have only seen one old 42 that had major cracks, and I mean cracks. That was because the previous owner beat the p*ss out of her all the time.... WFO all the time, in all conditions !

Old 12-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You go TeamSonic42.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Thumbs up

I second that TeamSonic42. My '97 31SS has seen big water regularly since I bought her new, no cracks.

I agree about the pot stirring. We all have opinions and only mine are right! OBTW, I would buy a Formula over a Fountian, but neither are on my shopping list.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Registered

TS42, thanks for setting us straight. I'm to lazy to type all that stuff you did, especially for a 3 post pot stirrerererereeeeer

Last edited by Love Machine; 12-10-2003 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:51 PM
TeamSonic42

LM,
I usually dont post much at all on OSO, although I visit everyday, several times a day and have been a member for a while. It just gets irritating when someone gets/starts another screen name, and starts bashing, bad mouthing or disseminating information that is incorrect, abusive, non factual or defaming to a person, boat / make, or business, just to start some chit. Especially when it is about someone or something that is top notch & reputible.

This is the second time this has happened on the Sonic Forum with-in the past month or so. Previously someone tried to bash Offshore Performance. Great people, honest & straight forward. Another personal agenda to be filled bashing them....

If I am wrong on my take on this. I will be the first to appologize !

We all know Sonic is in the top 10 best of the best. Everyone has their own opinion, likes, dislikes etc, I respect that. I have seen several "Other" boat makes that had the hell beat of them, abused and not taken care of, but I dont start saying what a "Piece" they are because of these few. They are the exception not the norm. Now.... we all know there a certain makes that this is the norm, but Sonic certainly does'nt fall into this catagory.

OSO is a great resource for information, and should'nt be a forum for entertainment of an individual who's reason to post is to start something or has a personal agenda or vendetta against someone or something. If you have something to say, good, bad or indifferent, & most importantly- FACTUAL, atleast be man and use your regular screen name. OSO has warned others in the past. I guess some will never learn.....

Old 12-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Registered

WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU.
I THANK YOU PAUL ROSENTHAL SONIC 28
Old 12-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Registered

TS42, U DA MAN!

See ya Sat night at the PAR-TEE
Old 12-13-2003, 01:04 AM
Registered

TS42 Sorry if I offended you with my post. It was based on observations I made during my boat search combined with a few years of structural design experience. There are things you can do to minimize cracks. Some manufacturers put more effort into minimizing the things that can cause cracks than others.

My comments were not meant to be bashing, They were meant to provide information.

Last edited by h2owarrior; 12-13-2003 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:45 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I don't think your post was offensive H2O. While I know that a curve is stronger than an angle, I prefer angles cosmeticly. And I don't think Sonic has any issues with strength.

Quick Reply: stress cracks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.