Speedo tube location >

Speedo tube location

Notices

Speedo tube location

Old 02-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedo tube location

Help me out with this one. It appears that either my trailer is set up incorrectly or Sonic needs to be aware of where they are incorrectly locating the speedo tube.
See the attached pics. The transom of my boat is 4-5" past the end of the bunks. The speedo tube is "leaning against the bunk. You cannot even place a credit card between (clearance). The first time I go to put that boat back on the trailer it will "rip" those 4 little screws, bracket and tube right off the transom! My guess is that the stanchion would need to be moved back so that the end of the transom would be flush or better yet slightly hanging over the bunk. This way the speedo tube would not even come in contact with the bunk.
Any thoughts?
Should have opted for a GPS speedo!
Attached Thumbnails Speedo tube location-speedo5r2.jpg  

Last edited by steve chalupka; 02-01-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Registered

Here's another.
Attached Thumbnails Speedo tube location-speedo1r.jpg  
Old 02-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Registered

Stanchion
Attached Thumbnails Speedo tube location-stanchionr1.jpg  
Old 02-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Registered

Another angle.
Attached Thumbnails Speedo tube location-speedorev1.jpg  
Old 02-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pitot is inboard of the trailer bunk. I would trim the bunk for clearance, or get a gps speedo. I wouldn't hang the boat off the back of the bunks. It can cause a hook over time and will reduce your tongue wieght or imbalance your trailer.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Registered

So my question remains. Why did Sonic place mine where they did?
If I go w/ a GPS speedo it means gell work to cover 10, count 'em 10 screw holes (4 on the bracket at the pitot, 3 holding the tube in place and another 4 at the top where the tube exists the transom). This is on a brand new boat!
Old 02-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have the same issue with mine. If you move the winch stand backward, you are going to change the whole attitude of the trailer, tongue weight, handling, everything.

I completely redid my trailer, and set the bunks up perfectly so they reach the back of the transom perfect. It took a while to get it right. If I were you, I would move the pitot left or right, OR opt for the different plastic pitot that hinges up when knocked.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

steve chalupka,

Would you post any other issues you might have with your boat?? My Prowler had just started through production when yours was completed. It's finished now and ready for me to take delivery.
I ordered a GPS with mine and I know I won't have the same problem with your current thread, but I would like to hear anything other concerns you might have...
I am driving down to pick mine up in two weeks and I would really like to be aware of any trouble areas before I leave Sonic.
Thanks in advance...
Jamey

Last edited by jlsnyder24baja; 02-02-2004 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, I'm certainly no expert, but with a custom trailer I would think the bunks should end at the end of the running surface or even 1" before it. I remember the pictures you posted of your boat last week and I remember the winch stanchion had not yet been installed, it just had the self stick vinyl to protect the paint when installing the stanchion. The important thing is that you have enough tongue weight, I think you want about 10-15% of the total package for optimum weight. ( maybe it's 8-10% , just ask Cord he knows everything ) Just out of curiosity, if you moved the stanchion all the way back, would that put the bunks completely under the boat? On my Prowler's trailer, the stanchion is all the way back and I still have plenty of tongue weight ( I don't have an Eagle trailer though ). I don't think Sonic had alot of choices on the pitot location with the notch and the K-Planes. What does your Dealer say about it? Steve
Old 02-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Registered

S -
Moving it (the stanchion) back would just about bring the transom even with the bunks. Not sure , however, if this would upset the tongue weight.
With regards to my dealer. I didn't notice until I got boat to my storage facility (Sat.) and started washing the trailer. Great eye in remembering that the previous pic showed no stanchion. My dealer said Eagle sent him the wrong one (it was too short).
Didn't talk to dealer yet, their closed Mondays. Send all appropriate digitals to them (as well as to Fred at Sonic)
for review.
Who is Cord? Is he with Sonic?
Jamey. No other problems with boat everything else looks awesome!
In retrospec I should have opted for GPS speedo. I've upgraded just about everything else.
S -

Quick Reply: Speedo tube location

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.