Water in V Berth

Notices

Water in V Berth

Old 07-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water in V Berth

Need help !!

Getting water in V berth, I think the water is coming in from under the MIRROR. No signs of water coming in from sides. Too confuse things the water that ends up in the two storage compartments is dark in color almost like Ice Tea.

Water must be getting stored in hull somewhere because I keep a full cover on the boat. Also laid in boat while wife hosed down bow and no water entered the boat. ( NOT THE 1ST TIME I TOOK A HOSEING FROM WIFE )

So if anyone has an IDEA please speak up.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Water in V Berth

Ya gotta store the boat nose up. My 26' had this problem too. The Deep V is so deep that water will creep its way back up the tube from the V-berth to the bilge. I also believe, that water will rest in a few places inside the hull, and collect some of the 'Ice-T' flavor, and also creep forward if you do not park nose up.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Registered

My hatches leak, trickled down the headliner and ended up in the stowage compartments on the sides. Also I think it came in through the rub rail. I did the taste test one time and it was salty. I have since replaced the rubrail and no more water. Oh yea, I need a new headliner now. It is foam backed and sagging to the point where it is totally falling.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've gotten water in the cabin under my V-berth on a 26' before. I usually store the boat with a full cover but on occasion have done just the cockpit cover. I figured out the water was coming from behind the mirror at the front of the V-berth. On a 26 there are a pair of speakers cut into the mirror, pulled a speaker and found about 7" of water but no goldfish. I think my water was coming in through the bow light(it was sealed to the deck but is split into another piece that contains the lens and snaps on). I think water from washing the boat was running down the deck and finding its way through the bow light kinda of like a floor drain! I ordered a new bow light from Sonic and installed it this Spring and sealed up the hole through the center of the mounting base and caulked from below. I'm afraid to check but haven't water under the V-berth cushion yet. Sydwayz is correct, if you store your boat bow down, any water in the bilge will flow through hoses into forward compartment under V-berth. I wonder if the "Tea" colored water your finding is from the flotation foam. I doubt that the water is entering your boat through the hull. Keep us posted on what you find. Steve
Old 07-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Good call 509. I forgot about the bow light. Mine was cracked and leaked too when I bought it. I replaced the light, and siliconed the crap out of the whole thing which helped. I also drilled a small drain hole at the base of the mirror under the v-berth cushion to keep water from accumilating in there. Water will leak in through the rubrail in a few places. Also, per 43Thunder, former tech at a Sonic dealer, the windscreen is known to leak into the cabin to, around where it meets the hull.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had the same problem on my 358. I think the water was coming from the bow light and possibly the rub rail. There was alot of water up front when I pulled off the mirror. It was a redish color - I think from the fiberglass and the foam. I sealed everything up but kept getting water from somewhere. I went to West Marine and picked up a clamshell vent and drilled a small hole in the bow so that the water could drain out. I checked it again after a week or so and it was bone dry.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. Will look into all the suggestions. I did replace the bow light with a Gaffrig stainless pop up. Should not leak there seal real good. I did find that the rub rail was holding some water. Good idea Splashanburn about the vent or drain hole.

How about 1 more question. If I elevate the boat and drain the water to the rear why does it not all drain out? Is there a compartment or a area in the bow that will retain water and only come out of that pocket when the bow is lowered during trailering or will running in the water?

Thanks again for the help will keep you posted.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to picture this.... is the clamshell vent on the exterior? How does it look?

And how hard was it to remove and then replace the forward mirror, I've thought about taking a peak behind there myself.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Here is my theory:

The little tubes running through the boat, are not exactly straight through. I think they may only go from compartment to compartment, and not from bow storage to the bilge. I think water make collect a bit inside each compartment when not stored nose up, and creeps forward.

Also, remember your cooler drains into the bilge, so you will always get water into your bilge.

Do you have speakers in your mirror? If so, just pull one of the speakers, and stick your hand in there.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-13-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 358player
I'm trying to picture this.... is the clamshell vent on the exterior? How does it look?

And how hard was it to remove and then replace the forward mirror, I've thought about taking a peak behind there myself.
Yes the clamshell is on the exterior but it is hardly noticable. It isn't all that hard to remove the mirror and once you do there is a good deal of room up there. My boat was holding alot of water - probably 2 gallons or so and it was not draining back. It would splash out under the mirror once you started up on plane or duriung rough water.

Quick Reply: Water in V Berth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.