Lake Travis guys....???? >

Lake Travis guys....????

Notices

Lake Travis guys....????

Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Travis guys....????

Im thinking about taking a job with Austin P.D. and was wondering what a good size boat is for Travis with average weekend boat traffic? Im still on the hunt for a 24 fountain but was wondering if a 22ft performance based hull would suffice? Buy the way, im talking stictly performance boats not pleasure boats!

Also is Travis the type of place where you can beach you boat or hang in coves and sleep on your boats over night?

Ive been on Lake Austin and Georgetown but never Travis so any help is appreciatted! Thanks!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I would get something with a good ride. The lake gets pretty snotty on weekends. There is no substitute and length and weight on that lake on some weekends. Yes there are many coves you can tie up and have a good time, even sleep if you would like.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

For busy weekends IMO you need more than a 24' because the amount of boat traffic it gets pretty ruff in the main channel.(Not anything compared to LOTO or Conroe though) Lots of people hang out in the coves and some sleep in their boats over night. Not many places to pull up on the beach--to many rocks and cliffs. Travis is a great lake to hang out on the weekends but it is really a lot of fun during the week when you don't have many other boats. Water is a lot better. Lots of boat ramps to use and a couple of good places to eat.
Jay
Old 10-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Registered

I agree with the above comments. I had a 22-foot 5000 pound Crownline bowrider, and I would get the snot beat out of me on the weekends.

I sold it and got a 31-foot 10,000 pound Cigarette Bullet. The difference is amazing!

My advise... Get at least a 30 foot boat. Somewhere between 30 and 38 feet is perfect for Lake Travis.

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Registered

I have been on Lake Travis a couple of times with my old boat. It was a 32 Sunsation with 496 mag ho's. It handled the choppy water well. My buddy has a 26' Regal bowrider and he got the snot beat out of him. I could run 50-60 in the roughest water, he could barely run 30 without getting beat up. Some very large cruiser wakes on the weekends. There is NO substitute for length, power, and weight. All in all it is a great lake to boat and hang out on.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I run the lake in a 19 1/2 ft Checkmate and it does get a little rough at times for me but the other people on my boat think it is going to break at any moment and they are going to drown, especially as we get closer to Devils Cove... Chickens
Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Registered

We just visited the lake this weekend and stayed at The Island condos. I must say its a beautiful lake. We hit up Carlos and Charlies and toured the north and south side of the lake to see the housing market. Im ready to move now! We absoulutley loved it.

On a side note.....there is no way in hell I can afford a nice 30ft boat on a police officer salary at first so I may have to tough it out for a few years in something smaller (22-24'). I saw a ton of 18 to 22 ft boats out there this weekend....I know that is only a very very small fraction of the summer traffic though. Time will tell.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Check out the classified section. You'd be suprised at the price of a lot of boats. Last I heard Austin P.D. had one of the better pay scales in Texas.
Jay
Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Registered

They do pay well but I want to go all out on a house.......lots of garages or barn space. I found a nice house in Cedar Creek....online anyways.....and it has a ton of garages....for under $190k on 2 acres.............if this is what I can expect to find then I will be ok on a nice boat. I originally liked Cedar Park and Leander but am starting to favor the more affordable south and east outskirts of town even though its farther from Travis. I guess I should take baby steps first!

How far is it from Cedar Creek to Travis?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

I live in cedar creek. Give me a call--512-303-1261
Jay

Quick Reply: Lake Travis guys....????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.