Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > South Central US
Dallas/ Ft. Worth lakes ???????? >

Dallas/ Ft. Worth lakes ????????

Notices

Dallas/ Ft. Worth lakes ????????

Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dallas/ Ft. Worth lakes ????????

Well I started a thread about Lake Travis but some things came up and we are now also intrested in moving to Plano!

Could I get a brief run-down of all the lakes there......or should I say which are good to boat on, good to hang out and hit up resteraunts, which have houses on them.....just a general run-down if its not to much trouble.

I know Texoma is supposedly bad ass!!!!

Also is there any local DFW boating websites and forums?

I read another thread were people arent to pleased with Lewisville.....why is that? Also the closest lake to Plano is Lavon.....hows it for boating as well as Ray Hubbard? I know im asking for alot but any info is greatly appreciatted....................The quality of boating in this area will afect my career move! Thanks!

Jason
Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

I saw that you had mentioned some possibilities in Plano. Look into Dallas as well, they just lowered their standards on background checks. I think they are hurting for people.

Texoma is great, its got plenty of restaurants - if I had to guess I'd say 7, 3 nice bars, all natural sand coastline. There are a lot of lakehouses, but not too many. There is still plenty of land left to pull up to a quiet cove and stay out of the crowds. No sound or speed laws. Its remote so there is no city traffic and lots of wildlife and clean air. Something like half the lake is dedicated to wildlife preserve. Texoma also has the best natural reproduction of striper in the U.S. The striper fishing there is the best in the country. Its one of the only lakes that you can pretty much gaurantee you will catch your limit, if you do it right. With a record of 35lbs, its nothing to pull a 10lb stripper out of the lake. At texoma fishing is king, and the economy runs off of it.

I won't comment on the other lakes as I have never had the oppurtunity to fully see them. Lewisville is pretty big, but its in the city, and it makes Texoma look like paradise.

I think the plano area will be much better boating wise. Lewisville, Texoma, and Ray Hubbard are all bigger then Lake Travis and are all within 1hr from Plano. Lake Lewisville is the second biggest lake in north texas, Texoma is almost twice the size of Lewisville and is 4 times the size of Lake Travis.
If you live in Plano you've got more options - Possum Kingom, Lavon, Lewisville, Texoma, Ray Hubbard. And you will also not be too far away from the other beautiful lakes that Oklahoma and Arkansas have to offer. Arkansas's Lake Quichita is slightly larger than Texoma and is only a 3-4 hr drive from Plano.

Regardless, the traffic is a mess if your trying to get to any of these lakes from Plano. Its not too bad if you go during off hours.

Lots of info to be found on www.lakepirateforums.com

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 11-19-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered

Thanks....very informative!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered

cpuld anyone tell me if there are any poker runs near barry/corsicana area im from new york and have family down there and want to bring my boat there and wanting to do a southern poker run
Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ---Thunder Cat--
cpuld anyone tell me if there are any poker runs near barry/corsicana area im from new york and have family down there and want to bring my boat there and wanting to do a southern poker run
Check out the schedule at the Cedar Creek Powerboat Association www.cedarcreekpa.org
Old 02-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Registered

TexomaPB really summarized it well. Plano would be covenient to Lewisville which we love for the best party cove in north Tx. Also Texoma is just a short hop up I 75 and an awsome lake with some big water and great holiday happenings. Poker runs on hold there , but has in the past hosted one of the countrys favorite runs. You will have many options. Possum kingdom is well worth the trip from plano and their fourth of july in hells gate is spectacular. Welcome to the area. there is a TX section in powerboatparty.com that is growing.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Registered

If you are thinking about moving to Plano, you may also want to consider McKinney.

McKinney is the county seat of Collin County. (Plano is in Collin County.) It is just outside the "official" Dallas - Fort Worth metroplex. (Plano is in the metroplex.)

From McKinney you can easily get to all the lakes mentioned above. I lived there for a few years, and I liked it. (I like Austin better! )

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I think the Plano area will be much better boating wise. Lewisville, Texoma, and Ray Hubbard are all bigger then Lake Travis and are all within 1hr from Plano. Lake Lewisville is the second biggest lake in north texas, Texoma is almost twice the size of Lewisville and is 4 times the size of Lake Travis.
Just a small correction... Lake Texoma may have more acreage than Lake Travis, but Lake Travis is over 60 miles long! If you go a few miles upsteam from the Lake Texoma dam, you hit "stickups". There are probably only 20 to 30 miles of usable waterways on Lake Texoma.

And, there is NO WAY that Lake Lewisville or Lake Ray Hubbard are bigger than Lake Travis. I have been on all of these Texas lakes (and plenty others like Lake Ray Roberts and Possum Kingdom Lake). Lake Travis beats them all!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
Just a small correction... Lake Texoma may have more acreage than Lake Travis, but Lake Travis is over 60 miles long! If you go a few miles upsteam from the Lake Texoma dam, you hit "stickups". There are probably only 20 to 30 miles of usable waterways on Lake Texoma.

And, there is NO WAY that Lake Lewisville or Lake Ray Hubbard are bigger than Lake Travis. I have been on all of these Texas lakes (and plenty others like Lake Ray Roberts and Possum Kingdom Lake). Lake Travis beats them all!
I'm suprised they have so many poker runs out there, the lake is small. All the facts I mentioned can be verified by the corp of engineers website. Lake Texoma - rated as one of the top ten places to live in boat in the U.S. by powerboat mag..............maybe they are full of it too????

20-30 miles of usable WIDE waterways. Its called open water, not a river or canal. There are parts of Texoma you can't even see across. Its the biggest lake in TX and OK. I'm suprised you ever get a chance to actually look at the lakes with all those hors you run with.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Registered

LOL at TPB. I never said that Travis was "bigger" than Texoma. I just said that it was longer.

You said that Lewisville and Ray Hubbard were bigger than Travis, and I called BS on that one.

And as far as the crack about the women I have on my boat... They are good people. Please do not call them hors.

Quick Reply: Dallas/ Ft. Worth lakes ????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.