Notices

Moving to Texas

Old 08-17-2009, 01:01 PM
sandman
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Texas

Selling my house in NC and was looking at property near Lake Whitney in Texas. Now the wifes doing the research because Im limited on the internet while deployed. She seems to like the Lake Texoma area better. Anyone have any pros or cons to these two lakes?.........Casey
Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Lake Whitney is a very quite lake. Clean water, lots of fishing etc.

Texoma is a huge lake, 89k acres, with sandy beaches and water mild to wild. You can find a small quite cove and spend the the weekend, rough stuff out in the middle, sandy beaches, bars, etc.

Will this be a weekend home or permanant residence?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Sandy beaches and islands make Texoma a hidden paradise. It's the biggest lake in TX and OK. Boats are running 150+mph on busy holiday's. Lots of open water. I've never been to Whitney, but I have to believe there was a reason why Texoma was named one of the top 10 places to live in boat in the US by Powerboat Magazine. It has 3 golf courses, 3 airports, tons of parks, camping, hiking, fishing, offroading, hunting, fan boating, canoeing & kayaking down the red river, hunting, restaurants, 2 college biological stations, coast guard training facility, cliffs, beaches, wildlife, and a bunch more.

I'd be happy to show you around one weekend.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 08-17-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:10 PM
sandman
Gold Member

Thanks guys, this will be a permanant home. Looking for a little acreage (2-10ac) to build a decent shop and have room for the boat. Dont need to live right next to a lake but no more than 20 miles from a nice one. I think I talked with both you guys about the 502s I bought from Derebery. Just sent him a check for 2 of those. BTW I bought my boat from Scott Shaw. His dad, Jerry, had it up on Texoma for a long time and when he passed away, his wife wanted it gone. maybe this old Nordic will see its home lake again.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Lots of cheap land up there close to the lake. www.lakepirateforums.com has tons of Texoma pics.

Don't be a stranger.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 08-17-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am about to celebrate my 1 year anniversary of living at Lake Texoma. I am a full-time resident, my house is about 700' from the shoreline.
There are a lot of good deals out there, especially if you don`t need to be right on the water.
I really like the Texas side of the lake. I live near the Denison / Pottsboro area. My son attends Pottsboro High School. It`s a good school. I am 10 minutes to Pottsboro, 15 minutes to Denison, 20 minutes to Sherman.
You may also want to search for property on the west side, Whitesboro, Gordonville, Sadler.
Lake Whitney is a pretty lake, but just not much going on there. No nightlife, no big powerboats. no poker runs. Good fishing though, but Texoma is one of the best striper lakes in Texas.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:15 AM
zrx
Registered

How long do you boat at Texoma through out the winter?
Old 08-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Registered

My last trip out is usually in November, and the last 2 years it has been with waves rolling over my bow (friggin rough).

September and October are awesome! Might have a chilly weekend in there, but mostly nice.

By March, we are usally having good enough weather to get out once or twice.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 AM
zrx
Registered

Originally Posted by TxHawk
My last trip out is usually in November, and the last 2 years it has been with waves rolling over my bow (friggin rough).

September and October are awesome! Might have a chilly weekend in there, but mostly nice.

By March, we are usally having good enough weather to get out once or twice.
Over the bout of your 40??? How big are the waves??
Old 08-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Registered

We get some very rough water when the wind is out of the north. Last year, idling out of the marina, I was dipping the front cleat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.