Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > South Central US
Recommendation for  engine builders  in North Texas area.. >

Recommendation for engine builders in North Texas area..

Notices

Recommendation for engine builders in North Texas area..

Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 AM
jcl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatman22
I guess i need to explane.....IT'S AGAINST THE LAW IN THE STATE OF TEXAS TO CHARGE A FEE TO ACCEPT A CREDIT CARD......It is also Merchant Agreement that the business signs when they sign up to take credit cards......Questions...

then someone needs to tell Tarrant county. 3% CC fee

http://www.tarrantcounty.com/ecounty...a=735&Q=473189
Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jcl
then someone needs to tell Tarrant county. 3% CC fee

http://www.tarrantcounty.com/ecounty...a=735&Q=473189
LMFAO!

http://www.nacmsouthtexas.org/Credit...nience_Fee.htm
Convenience Fee Assessment Guidelines for Merchants (Credit Cards)

A merchant that charges a convenience fee must ensure that the fee is:

· Charged for a bona fide convenience in the form of an alternative payment channel outside
the merchant’s customary payment channels. (Example: A face-to-face merchant allows customers
the convenience of paying by phone or Internet.)

· Disclosed to the cardholder as a charge for the alternative payment channel convenience.
(The fee must not be disclosed as a processing fee or fee to cover merchant costs associated
with card acceptance.)

· Added only to a non face-to-face transaction. (Merchants who only operate exclusively in a
MO/TO or Internet environment may not assess a convenience fee, as there is not an added
convenience to pay through the current payment channel.)

· Added as a flat or fixed amount, regardless of the value of the payment due.
(The fee may not be assessed as a percentage of the transaction amount.)

· Applicable to all forms of payment accepted in the alternative payment channel.
(The fee may not be assessed only to customers paying by debit or credit card
through the alternative payment channel, but rather to any kind of payment accepted
through that channel.)

· Disclosed prior to the completion of the transaction and the cardholder is given the
opportunity to cancel.

· Included as part of the total amount of the transaction.

Please also note:

A convenience fee may only be charged by the merchant that actually provides goods or services to the cardholder. A convenience fee may not be charged by any third party.

A convenience fee must NOT be added to a recurring transaction.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 02-26-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IT REALLY IS AGAINST THE LAW people. It is not against the law for a county or ANY government agency to do this.

I don't agree with it, but it is the law in TX. If you show that charge on a receipt (which knowing from my past dealings with Leon and CC's) never shows up on a receipt, a business owner would be leaving himself open to litigation.

I learned this when I was still selling cars. Customers would come in at the last minute on a VERY skinny deal and then want to put a large down payment on a CC. The finance guy we had at the time got in quite a bit of trouble when he told the wrong guy that he was doing that, and the customer had the paperwork to show the it was done.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
LMFAO!

http://www.nacmsouthtexas.org/Credit...nience_Fee.htm
Convenience Fee Assessment Guidelines for Merchants (Credit Cards)

A merchant that charges a convenience fee must ensure that the fee is:

· Charged for a bona fide convenience in the form of an alternative payment channel outside
the merchant’s customary payment channels. (Example: A face-to-face merchant allows customers
the convenience of paying by phone or Internet.)

· Disclosed to the cardholder as a charge for the alternative payment channel convenience.
(The fee must not be disclosed as a processing fee or fee to cover merchant costs associated
with card acceptance.)

· Added only to a non face-to-face transaction. (Merchants who only operate exclusively in a
MO/TO or Internet environment may not assess a convenience fee, as there is not an added
convenience to pay through the current payment channel.)

· Added as a flat or fixed amount, regardless of the value of the payment due.
(The fee may not be assessed as a percentage of the transaction amount.)

· Applicable to all forms of payment accepted in the alternative payment channel.
(The fee may not be assessed only to customers paying by debit or credit card
through the alternative payment channel, but rather to any kind of payment accepted
through that channel.)

· Disclosed prior to the completion of the transaction and the cardholder is given the
opportunity to cancel.

· Included as part of the total amount of the transaction.

Please also note:

A convenience fee may only be charged by the merchant that actually provides goods or services to the cardholder. A convenience fee may not be charged by any third party.

A convenience fee must NOT be added to a recurring transaction.
Part 3 states "ONLY IN A NON FACE TO FACE TRANSACTION"
Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Part 3 states "ONLY IN A NON FACE TO FACE TRANSACTION"
It says internet only companies are not allowed to charge a convenience fee because there is no face to face interaction. Meaning there is no convenience to the customer because they have no option but to pay with a CC. Its not worded very good, but IMO giving the customer the convenience of paying with a CC instead of cash qualifies to charge a convenience fee. None of those laws cited says anything about the government being the only one allowed to charge a convenience fee.

Nobody here is a lawyer. None of you know all the facts and circumstances about the transaction cited. I suggest you stop implying that Derebery is somehow breaking the law. Those are not allegations to be taken lightly.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 02-26-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

It says internet only companies are not allowed to charge a convenience fee because there is no face to face interaction. Meaning there is no convenience to the customer because they have no option but to pay with a CC. Its not worded very good, but IMO giving the customer the convenience of paying with a CC instead of cash qualifies to charge a convenience fee. None of those laws cited says anything about the government being the only one allowed to charge a convenience fee.

Nobody here is a lawyer. None of you know all the facts and circumstances about the transaction cited. I suggest you stop implying that Derebery is somehow breaking the law. Those are not allegations to be taken lightly.
I was only relaying an example from personal experiences, mainly in the car business.

I jsut rememebr we had a guy in trouble for not hiding/ handling the fee correctly.

Usually I pay Leon with cash or a check myself when I am rummaging through his shop. Thanks LEON. He usually hooks me up with what I am looking for for a reasonable fee.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way to be fellas. Another OSO thread ruined by pissing and moaning. What's the title of the thread again???
Old 02-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wstultz
Way to be fellas. Another OSO thread ruined by pissing and moaning. What's the title of the thread again???
no chit....this thread really went down hill
Old 02-26-2010, 03:29 PM
jcl
Gold Member
Gold Member

So to get back on topic. Who are some North Texas Engine builders.

As of right now the list we have accumulated is:

-The guy in Ft. Worth
-Derebery

...are there any others who are experienced in marine applications?
Old 02-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Do you work for a credit card company?

Still waiting on the answer to my first question. Is it against the law to refuse to accept a credit card?

Do you want Derebery to raise his prices for everyone? Are you in the boat repair business?
I guess you just don't get it...I never said or implied that it was against the law to refuse to accept a credit card. I could care less if Derebery raise his prices.
Yes I am in the boat repair business , not with a credit card company... what difference does that make?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.