Rough River Lake, Ky >

Rough River Lake, Ky

Notices

Rough River Lake, Ky

Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough River Lake, Ky

Just curious if anyone on this site plays on my old lake. I grew up on this lake and to this day I could drive most of it blind folded at night at about 25-30 mph.

After all the travel and living in lots of places, it's still one of my favorite bodies of fresh water.

Large and long enough for about any sized boat but the woods provide so much protection that the wind has a hard time spoiling your day.

I have really come to miss being close to it.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am about an hour from rough river...we go to nolin more than rough river just because it's more of a family skiing lake now. If you get running around in a large powerboat all you do is dodge jetskis and pontoons. I have a bunch of friends with cabins there so we go up occassionally. Nice country just not the best for powerboating.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Registered

We lived in E'town for about 6 years before moving to LOTO; loved it. Spent some time at Rough and liked the lake. The islands are a neat place to hang out. They were doing some work on the dam and dropped the lake level a couple of years ago but suspect they have that sorted out by now.

Like kyboy1020 we spent more time at Nolin. There's plenty of pontoons to dodge there too.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Registered

Probably wouldn't be so bad in my boat..

We lived in Rainbow Gardens. Houses were around 30 - 40K. I noticed even in this economy they're now going for 89 and up.

At the time, NO one ever thought they'd see a property value increase in that area!

Some of those places are around 130K!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I got a friend with a 10,000sqft cabin there....there are a bunch of homes and cabins on the waterfront starting mid 80's upto agroun low 200's usually. The roads are severely underdeveloped but the area is growing. Kentucky would be one of the top boating states IMO if they would take some of the areas wet.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kyboy1020
I got a friend with a 10,000sqft cabin there....there are a bunch of homes and cabins on the waterfront starting mid 80's upto agroun low 200's usually. The roads are severely underdeveloped but the area is growing. Kentucky would be one of the top boating states IMO if they would take some of the areas wet.
Couldn't agree more! KY is a great place to boat now; lots of lakes of all different shapes and sizes and the Ohio river if you don't want to go to the lake. What's missing is development (bars, restaurants, etc.), and for that to happen they need to be able to sell booze. Sad maybe, but true.

That said, I miss the peace and quiet. We sure don't have that here during the summer.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Registered

You know, I totally forgot about the dry county thing. That explains why the area really feels like nothing EVER changes in terms of growth or jobs and income and the like...

It's like a time warp. It does speak volumes to what the vices bring.

So are you still not allowed to have ANY booze in your boat or what? I know you used to be able to have liquor in your home but no more than you can drink etc..

We used to run to "The Black Cat" and haul it back for the neighbors!!!!

That's funny. Bardstown is the bourbon capital of the world and the lake including itself is surrouned by about 4 or more dry counties...

Last edited by SDFever; 06-15-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Registered

Things are changing, albeit slowly. They started selling liquor by the drink in E'town just before we got there (Dec 02) and liquor stores are now open on Sunday in Louisville. Give it another 10 years....maybe.

The rule is you cannot consume alcohol in public. Koozies or cups are mandatory or you go to jail, but I never heard of anyone's cooler being searched. I know at Nolin the police would sit up in the woods with binoculars and watch boaters in the "party cove". Every so often you'd see them swoop in and take someone away who had a visible can or bottle of beer. Stupid maybe, but that's the law.

Strangely, the area is growing, particularly around Fort Knox where a lot of new government jobs opened up. We sold our house there last May and actually made a little profit on it.