Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > South Central US
Noise level law passed ,will include Devils Cove and the Sandy Creek arm of Travis >

Noise level law passed ,will include Devils Cove and the Sandy Creek arm of Travis

Notices

Noise level law passed ,will include Devils Cove and the Sandy Creek arm of Travis

Old 06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noise level law passed ,will include Devils Cove and the Sandy Creek arm of Travis

It is modeled after Austin's law passed last year, basically if they can hear the music 100ft away they can fine you or tell you to shut it down, no meter, up to officer to decide if its too loud..
Ill post a copy of what I posted on the Lake Travis facebook page.
This meeting was headline in the local paper and I sent the info to the powerboat club with hundreds of members , it was posted on the facebook site with 8000members ..
Cant believe that out of tens of thousands that use the cove every year I was the only person
to go fight this..
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Public meeting just concluded.
1. Meeting was open to everyone and I was allowed to address the council even though I do not live there. They were actually very nice to me and we discussed sound readings,decibel meters,etc (I run sound for a living)
2. Only 50 people TOTAL showed up.
3. Only the couple that rode with me and myself went to fight the bill.
Thats right out of 8000 members on the Devils Cove/Lake Travis site, all the LTPA members and all the
boating people I informed of this ONLY I FRIGGIN SHOWED UP.
THE LAW PASSED because in a show of hands it was 3 against 47 proving to the council the public wanted it, THATS RIGHT all we needed was to have 50 friggin people there and we would have had a chance.

SO live with it people, you werent up to fighting and now everyone loses.
Now they are discussing further things they can do to control boaters.
By the way this law is not just for Devils Cove but covers the entire east side
of the lake up Sandy Creek arm as well ..
Sad people really sad, this is why this country is where it is, noone fights for anything anymore....
Old 06-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please explain to me how everyone loses?

I, for one, have been going to the cove for 15+ years and can honestly say that I'm 100% for this. I'm all for someone having a good time, but some of these people that show up in a ski boat with 15 speakers hanging on every piece of aluminum they can mount to is a bit ridiculous. I bet if your were a homeowner inside Devil's, you'd feel the same way. This behavior wasn't prevelant until the past few years and it really has gotten out of hand. I don't think the passing of this ordinance is going to ruin a damn thing and the party in Devil's will continue. It has been rumored for years that Devil's would be shut down once all the property is sold and homes built throughout. That will remain to be seen. As far as the ordinance, there is more to it than just prohibiting loud music. I believe the true intent is to give law enforcement the option to control eradic (drunk) behavior and maintain a sense of order during the summer months. My opinion, and entitled to it.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Registered

There was already a noise ordinance, it was never enforced,
they had a very good nightime noise ordianance (basically no noise 10pm to 7am)
I know people in the cove trying to sleep on the boats who called Jonestown police at 3am because of a few loud boats who were told they didnt have anyone to come out!! )
there are already laws in Jonestown to protect the homeowners,
it was brought up at the meeting, basically law states noone can deprive a resident of peaceful use of their land. One of the residents that lives in the heart of the cove spoke in favor of control of profanity but fine with the music since he has been living there
many years and knew it was a party cove when he moved there.

No different than peopel who move next to racetracks, airports or other loud places then try to shut them down because the noise bothers them. If they have enough moeny they usually succeed too even though it was a pre-existing condition.

I dont play loud music and I agreed with the council on many issues BUT NOT MORE laws especially one that give an officer discretionary power (law does not state a level leaving it up to officer) this is clearly the first volley in a war on the waterways by the residents. If you seriously dont think they will come after the "loud cigarette" boats when this calms down you havent been paying attention to what has happened in many other lakes.

The last sentence in the council agenda clearly states
"Discuss and consider OTHER prohibitions on waterways"

Hello mufflers and speed limits..

Anyways , honestly I was more pissed by the apathy of people who are willing to turn their lives and freedoms over to the goverment than by any sound law.
Now any officer can decide if your music or boat is too loud anywhere in the Jonestown area which by the way includes areas where we run our poker runs.

Time will tell I guess on what the next step will be.

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 06-18-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Registered

copy of last nights agenda
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1460245_n.jpg
Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Registered

well looks like I wasnt too far off the mark..
Hope you'all have mufflers ...

Exactly as I thought speedboats will be next on the agenda. Hopefully more than one person will get involved next time..

Quotes from KXAN report:

Murphy said, "They should think about the speed boats and the noise they're creating. Because, some of the speed boats are a lot louder than stereos."

The new ordinance will go into effect the weekend of the fourth of July.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griswald
Please explain to me how everyone loses?

I, for one, have been going to the cove for 15+ years and can honestly say that I'm 100% for this. I'm all for someone having a good time, but some of these people that show up in a ski boat with 15 speakers hanging on every piece of aluminum they can mount to is a bit ridiculous. I bet if your were a homeowner inside Devil's, you'd feel the same way. This behavior wasn't prevelant until the past few years and it really has gotten out of hand. I don't think the passing of this ordinance is going to ruin a damn thing and the party in Devil's will continue. It has been rumored for years that Devil's would be shut down once all the property is sold and homes built throughout. That will remain to be seen. As far as the ordinance, there is more to it than just prohibiting loud music. I believe the true intent is to give law enforcement the option to control eradic (drunk) behavior and maintain a sense of order during the summer months. My opinion, and entitled to it.
I have also been going to the cove for 15 years and am not against the ordinance as well. I have a loud stereo myself, however I don't play ghetto music for all to hear, and when you get 5 or 6 of these ski boats tied together with the speakers all playing a different hip hop song, it just sounds like a huge distortion noise and I can't even hear my own stereo with 1000w amp!! Hopefully this law will run off the "undesirable" party crowd and we can enjoy the cove again. I doubt that they are going ticket for motor noise, rather use the ordinance to go after the young kids/svc industry crowd who are making payments on a $60k ski boat they can't afford with $5k stereo system playing Lady gaga/50 cent. Now if they start talking about controlling exhaust noise and size/speed of boats, I'll be there to fight in a heartbeat.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
well looks like I wasnt too far off the mark..
Hope you'all have mufflers ...

Exactly as I thought speedboats will be next on the agenda. Hopefully more than one person will get involved next time..

Again, this is nothing new. Around '99 you couldn't pull up to the Emerald Point ship store w/o the LCRA raising a decible meter to make sure you were compliant. There was a big hoorah by many while others condemned the regulation. In time, it died down and Law Enforcement had better things to do. IMO, these new ordinances (laws) are not meant to corrupt the way of life on the lake. They are being implemented to give more power to local authorities by letting them use their best judgement when policing the lake. As always, there are a few bad apples that can ruin the bunch. You've spent plenty of time on the lake and know the people they are likely to go after. i.e. the young tech guy who just purchased his new $100k Moomba and had Hydrotunes install $10k worth of sound equipment so everybody could see how cool he is.

Don't blow it out of proportion.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I believe itll be somewhat of a tool law enforcement uses to keep some people in line. However, I dont see them out there on holiday weekends harassing people about their music being too loud unless they have some sort of justifiable cause. It will be a factor, and should be, when people stay out there till midnight hammering their stereo when most have left the cove.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Registered

Time will tell,
law will go into effect for July 4th weekend.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Registered

After reading this, I want to know what the muffler law is gonna be like. I don't have them and my boat is dry piped so it is not quiet. At night I usually only start one motor to pull out of a bar however I just want some heads up on what Travis will be like this weekend for the Poker run. Thx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.