New Orleans Boating?? >

New Orleans Boating??

Notices

New Orleans Boating??

Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Orleans Boating??

Thinking about a job offer in New Orleans, what's the boating like down there? Are there any nice sand bars or beaches to get to by boat.

Don't know much about the area, any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a blast, lots of water and lots of poker runs in the surrounding areas with big get togethers as well. I live in Lake Charles La (3 hours away) and we have a good size group that does not need much of a reason to make the drive. You will meet some of the best people around but as far as sand bars/ beaches im not too sure on that but there is plenty of hang out spots and bars and night clubs on the water and several you can only access by water.... when people in that area want to hit a real sand bar beach they get big groups together and make a 2.5 hour or so haul to Destin Fl. to Crab Island for some of the best beach / sandbars around.
have a look as this website for lots of pics and get an idea of what we get into in La.
http://http://www.gcoffshore.com/ Gulf Coast Offshore

If you do make the move....You will not be bored

Joe ......
Old 09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Registered

From Port Isabel Texas to Key West Florida, nothing beats living and boating in the US gulf coast states. We enjoy the most awesome weather than anywhere else except for perhaps San Diego or the state of Hawaii.
Trust me on this, all of the entire southern Louisiana ROCKS bigtime.
You can't go wrong with a relocation like this. Just watch where your looking for a place if you want to be in the city, I personally suggest the suburbs like Slidell where my wife's sister lives on Lake Pontchartrain. In addition to the beautiful beaches in Florida, there are also some awesome beaches right next door in Mississippi too
Good luck on your relo.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 09-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

lots of boating water, pretty good # of places to stop and hang out, and of course the best people/hospitality you can find IMO as far as sand bars, tchefuncta river had an exposed white sand bar at one time but a storm a few years ago took it out. Its still there just about 2-4' deep now. We all hang out at tickfaw "sand bar" and "blind river/Amitie river "sand bar" but not what i think you're talking about but a it's a good time and place to drop anchor and socialize. Also a place over at the old Ponchartrain beach were those crazy azz NOLA people hang out at LOL. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all in the boating around here!! check out the site listed above and there is a small forum some of us hang out on (http://www.bayouboaters.com/forum/) go to face book and look up blind river bar, blood river landing, SunBuns, Prop Stop. lots more that's just the ones of the top of my head.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered

Cool, sounds like there is plenty to do, which I figured. I have buddy I worked with that moved down there and his boss is hiring again. It has relocation budgeting which makes it even more desireable, all I get to do is get the boss on board. Boating here in OH is ok but when summer comes we ignore a lot of everything else to get the most of it which sucks. Our local lake is sort just a puddle to cool off in and we are 2 hours from Lake Erie. We have a lot more fun up there but its starting to be a hassle towing back in and forth, and not sure I'm ready to leave it up there.

I've been going backwards with my current employer and this probably the best chance I got going forward. I just wish I can my lady on board with me it would make the decision a whole lot easier.

What does everyone do when a hurricane or tropical storm rolls into down? Other then Slidell what are other areas that are descent, with good schools, and close to a ramp? How far up river do you need to be to get out of salt or should I invest in a new trailer?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm up the tickfaw river off Lake Maurepas north of the hwy 22 bridge.(goggle earth that) The tide does affect my place a little but its fresh water unless we get an Isaac LOL. Slidell is what I'd call salt/brackish. you'll have to get one of those guys to let you know about that area. for hurricanes, first you it goes somewhere else then buy a generator/get it ready, lots of fuel for it and of course a ton of booze at least we know its coming unlike tornadoes and earthquakes

Last edited by LAriverratt; 09-24-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by joe27baja
Its a blast, lots of water and lots of poker runs in the surrounding areas with big get togethers as well. I live in Lake Charles La (3 hours away) and we have a good size group that does not need much of a reason to make the drive. You will meet some of the best people around but as far as sand bars/ beaches im not too sure on that but there is plenty of hang out spots and bars and night clubs on the water and several you can only access by water.... when people in that area want to hit a real sand bar beach they get big groups together and make a 2.5 hour or so haul to Destin Fl. to Crab Island for some of the best beach / sandbars around.
have a look as this website for lots of pics and get an idea of what we get into in La.
http://http://www.gcoffshore.com/ Gulf Coast Offshore

If you do make the move....You will not be bored

Joe ......
Is that 2.5hrs by tow or by water?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on Slidell, we normally pull 40 min to gulfport and head due south by boat for 14 miles to hit ship island! Schools are good, mine are small but my lil boy in 1st is in public school! Any other parish (county) around here and you have to do private!! Slidell and Mandeville/madisonville are all good and on northshore of lake!!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by s022mag
I'm sure that's towing the boat east on I-10

In addition to Slidell, Hammond, Covington, and Mandeville are good options to being near the city but Hammond would be a long haul for a daily commute to work. The other 3 are an easy commuting distance.

Keep us posted on the possible relocation.
You will find southern hospitality to be awesome for sure.
There are lots of great folks on the Gulf Coast.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by s022mag
Holy Hell... I ment to put 3.5 hours not 2.5, anyways that was towing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.