Need lake Cumberland advice

Notices

Need lake Cumberland advice

Old 04-04-2013, 08:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need lake Cumberland advice

Looking to fly in on a Saturday and leave on Sunday in three weeks.
2 couples.
We like good food and drinks.
Maybe something higher end if possible.

What do you guys recommend to do?
Where to stay?
Where to eat and drink?
What airport do you recommend? KSME (lake Cumberland)
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is not a lot of high end anything. To drink you will need to be around Somerset as the west end of the lake is located in a dry county. But the food at the State Lodge is very good. There are a couple nice places in Somerset to eat. To do a lot of boaters woud visit Lake Cumberland Maine but the inventory has been a little low. There is a lot of histoic places aroud the lake. The Towns are a little sleepy till the summer. As far as airports Im not sure but you can check out lakecumberland.com for more info. Its a great place and you will have a good time.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Lee's Ford Marina was the only place I knew that has a resturant that is within walking distance to the water and they sell beer. Tman is right most of that area is dry, I haven't been there since they lowered the water for dam repairs so I have no clue if any other places sell alchol, I'm pretty sure it will all be dine in, no carry outs within an hours drive.

As for staying the state dock has a nice lodge and so does Jamestown. Lee's Ford also has some rooms available. The fact that most of that lake is dry keeps a lot of the big name resturants and hotels away.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks for the replies
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Your best bet for rooms being close to the lake would be at Jamestown. It's across from State Dock. You wouldn't be terribly far from Somerset or Lake Cumberland Marine. I picked my boat up last Saturday and tried to stop in at LCM but they closed early that day. They seem to have some decent inventory online but everything on the showroom was water sports related.

As far as airports, I'm not familiar with Knoxville or KSME but Lexington or Louisville are likely your best bets. Both are within 90 minutes of the lake.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

somerset, KY is now "wet". package stores and gas stations, brown bag sales, etc....

Guthry's Restaurant in burnside is by far the best dining in town...full bar, deck with lake overlook. your gonna hafts amke your own fun other than the few sports bars in burnside....Lake Cumberland Regional is the closest ariport...its in Somerset, Pulaski county.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy
somerset, KY is now "wet". package stores and gas stations, brown bag sales, etc....

Guthry's Restaurant in burnside is by far the best dining in town...full bar, deck with lake overlook. your gonna hafts amke your own fun other than the few sports bars in burnside....Lake Cumberland Regional is the closest ariport...its in Somerset, Pulaski county.
Thank you for taking the time to give me some tips.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the only REAL fun thing to do there is BOAT!!! If you want entertainment pick a weekend that hosts a Poker run or the Raft up. they host 2 poker runs a year one in june and the other in september. And the Raft up is a huge party as well (i was a part of) 1651 boats all tied togeather. Guinness World record holders baby!!! As far as closest air port. lexington KY i think has a small port. and Nashville TN would probley be kinda close too. hour drive or so.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I've only been to lake Cumberland once and it was to pick up a 42 tiger I bought. Randy with Cumberland marine was very fun to work with, had a cocktail in his office, and off I went with the boat to ohio. I thought I always heard it was a good time there but have realized now unless you bring the party and pick a good weekend it's not my cup of tee. So off to Chicago for some downtown action.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Has the water level made it back up to normal yet? I thought it was a 5 year project but it seems to be taking longer. 76 falls would fit more boats if it got back up to its norm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.