Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > South Central US
Moving To The Houston Area >

Moving To The Houston Area

Notices

Moving To The Houston Area

Old 09-16-2013, 05:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T-RAV, thank you for all the great information. You are exactly correct about the chart plotter. I am fortunate enough to have GPS on my boat and my first purchase was the updated card for the area.

I have to be a little careful about Taylor Lake as I am not sure I can clear the bridge with my arch on the boat as it is fixed and I can't remove it or fold it. Any idea on what that clearance is? I am guessing I need about 8-9 feet to feel comfortable trying it.

Those are great tips and I will have to keep exploring.

Thank you again for all of the information. Sounds like you would be a great tour guide!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Registered

I'm in the League City area. The Tellepsen area is not a place that I would like to live in. There's several nicer places south off of 45.

The bay is nice to run around in, like anywhere else, bad weather will make it snotty. The Taylor Lake bridge is low, but there's a good 8-10ft clearance on it.

I've been in the area for several years, it's a nice place for boating. Your 26ft will be just fine.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Registered

TooTall, thanks for the reply and we are considering living south down 45. There are still some variables to factor in but we are wanting to be as close to the water as possible.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Registered

Look at the Taylor Lake Village, Lago Vista, Seabrook areas. She can take Red Bluff to Beltway 8 to 225 to 610 to 45 to get to work. Puts you within five minutes, at most to the water, and the least amount of drive time to work. Who is she working for? I can help with dry or sling storage. Home prices here are not what you will expect, lots of house for the $.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Registered

Get on HAR.com

set a budget and go from there
Old 09-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Registered

I can't seem to find exit 45 off of I-45, but I think you are close to down town. If you want to live on the water, go to google maps and type "Rio Villa Drive Houston, TX". This is a small boating community East of Houston off of Wallisville Road. We have our own private boat launch. Most people have boats, golf carts or Side by Side ATV. This community is on the San Jacinto RIver, south of the lake. It is brackish water. I moved to this location in December and I love it. We have poker runs on ATVs, Fireworks on the 4th of July. Palm Trees, birds, wild pigs, pelicans, ducks, alligators, snakes and mosquitoes, etc. We have it all. You can build your own boat house. You can take your boat down the river and go anywhere. You can go to Clear Lake, Galveston, Gulf. You are not land locked. There is a down side to this area. All the houses are on a flood plane and all of them are beach houses. The bottom of my house is 20 feet in the air. When a hurricane comes, you have to leave. IT WILL FLOOD, but the water does not get into your house, just under it. I have not experienced it yet, but it will happen every 4-6 years. Another downside is that once you leave the community, you are in Mexico and the area areound Rio Villa is ugly. It is the old and industrial part of Houston. There are refinaries and sometimes you can smell them. The water in the San Jacinto RIver is safe enough to swim in, but you are not suppose to eat the fish. Toxins are in the water from a company 50 years ago. Regarless of the downside of things, once you get home on the river and feel the breeze, watch the fish jump, pelicans dive in the water, ducks flying, etc. You don't realize you are in Houston. I lived in Seabrook on Clear Lake, and if you can't deal with Rio Villa, Clear Lake is a better option. I personally like Rio Villa better. I always feel like I am at the beach when I get home. If you don't like salt water at all, Lake Sam Rayburn is the best lake in Texas, but it is 2.5 hours away. Sam Rayburn has sandy beaches, no bulkhead, mostly trees instead of houses, a party island and local boat racing on weekends. The water is a dark blue and you can see your feet when you are swimming. You will not be able to see your feet in clear lake or the river. The water is kind of nasty.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Registered

UrbanDisturbance, I figured Clear Lake was an oxymoron, kind of like Liberal, Hill City and Garden City, Kansas.

Thanks for the additional information, we will also look into that area as well. Right now we are open to all suggestions.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
I can't seem to find exit 45 off of I-45, but I think you are close to down town. If you want to live on the water, go to google maps and type "Rio Villa Drive Houston, TX". This is a small boating community East of Houston off of Wallisville Road. We have our own private boat launch. Most people have boats, golf carts or Side by Side ATV. This community is on the San Jacinto RIver, south of the lake. It is brackish water. I moved to this location in December and I love it. We have poker runs on ATVs, Fireworks on the 4th of July. Palm Trees, birds, wild pigs, pelicans, ducks, alligators, snakes and mosquitoes, etc. We have it all. You can build your own boat house. You can take your boat down the river and go anywhere. You can go to Clear Lake, Galveston, Gulf. You are not land locked. There is a down side to this area. All the houses are on a flood plane and all of them are beach houses. The bottom of my house is 20 feet in the air. When a hurricane comes, you have to leave. IT WILL FLOOD, but the water does not get into your house, just under it. I have not experienced it yet, but it will happen every 4-6 years. Another downside is that once you leave the community, you are in Mexico and the area areound Rio Villa is ugly. It is the old and industrial part of Houston. There are refinaries and sometimes you can smell them. The water in the San Jacinto RIver is safe enough to swim in, but you are not suppose to eat the fish. Toxins are in the water from a company 50 years ago. Regarless of the downside of things, once you get home on the river and feel the breeze, watch the fish jump, pelicans dive in the water, ducks flying, etc. You don't realize you are in Houston. I lived in Seabrook on Clear Lake, and if you can't deal with Rio Villa, Clear Lake is a better option. I personally like Rio Villa better. I always feel like I am at the beach when I get home. If you don't like salt water at all, Lake Sam Rayburn is the best lake in Texas, but it is 2.5 hours away. Sam Rayburn has sandy beaches, no bulkhead, mostly trees instead of houses, a party island and local boat racing on weekends. The water is a dark blue and you can see your feet when you are swimming. You will not be able to see your feet in clear lake or the river. The water is kind of nasty.
And you are also dubbed a "river rat"!!! Haha!! Also property taxes and insurance will prob be significantly higher than in MO. Stay away from anywhere with a MUD tax. Even Friendswood and east Pearland your still only 20-25 min to the water so its not that bad. I am on the furthest west side of League City and can be at the ramp in less than 15 minutes. There are a lot of options in the area and your still reasonably close to the water.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=UrbanDisturbance;3997918]I can't seem to find exit 45 off of I-45, but I think you are close to down town.

Basically it is two exits past the University of Houston on I-45. Also check out the Medical Center and Rice University (west of 288) area for condos / houses, close to her work, but further away from the water.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Registered

What is a MUD Tax?

Just googled it and found the answer, thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by TW720HVY; 09-19-2013 at 08:49 AM.