Powerboating Near Dallas and Austin? >

Powerboating Near Dallas and Austin?

Notices

Powerboating Near Dallas and Austin?

Old 03-20-2017, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
So are many boaters out yet on the lake or is it just starting on Lewy ?
There were a ton out on Sunday. Saturday morning from 10-1 there were some fisherman out, but thats about all. Lake was amazing Saturday morning for sure.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been playing on Lewisville almost 15 years and only been stopped once (knock on wood), and that was just long enough to hold up life jackets for the three of us on board. (knocking on wood again) My only guess as to why they flagged us down was because one of the guys was HUGE and they wanted to be sure we had a jacket to fit him.

Now I have spoken with plenty of game wardens and cops while anchored in PC, mainly just chatting with them about their day and if they have seen anything particularly crazy so far. Most are pretty cool, a few are jerks, just act like an adult and you will be fine. We generally don't get in the main line when we go to PC, so maybe that helps.

The middle of the main lake and points north are where you find most stumps, once you know the main routes, you will be fine.

Everyone is correct about the surfers, if you anchor near the dam (main one or the "short dam" closer to Pier 121) you will get rocked by them. There are a number of coves you can find that aren't too bad to hang out, but not many super private ones, but we have several gals who like going topless and they are comfortable with most of the places we pick. With the predominantly south wind in the summer, its very tempting to tuck up and anchor close to the dams, my advice is to edge as close to the eastern corner as you can so the surfers turn before they get to you.

As someone mentioned, the back side of the old Lake Dallas dam by PC is a nice place to back up to a beach like area. Unfortunately when the lake is up, and the cruisers can get to PC via the southern cut, the wakes can be pretty rough as they come in. But its still a fun area.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:39 AM
Registered

Well I should be out both days this weekend if you see me out there flag me down or pull up to me. I would be more then happy to BS with some fellow OSO boaters.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

My wife has an opportunity to relocate to the Dallas (Richardson) area for work and I would be able to do my job from there. I was excited to see a lake (Lewisville) in such close proximity. I was going to do some research on marinas that leased slips on covered docks that I could put a lift in but some of the posts about this lake are a little concerning. I'm not so much concerned about the po po (used to it on my local pond and LOTO) as I am the overcrowding/amateur boaters. Can anyone who frequents this lake compare a normal summer weekend there to LOTO?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
My wife has an opportunity to relocate to the Dallas (Richardson) area for work and I would be able to do my job from there. I was excited to see a lake (Lewisville) in such close proximity. I was going to do some research on marinas that leased slips on covered docks that I could put a lift in but some of the posts about this lake are a little concerning. I'm not so much concerned about the po po (used to it on my local pond and LOTO) as I am the overcrowding/amateur boaters. Can anyone who frequents this lake compare a normal summer weekend there to LOTO?
Lewisville hasn't treated me bad yet. I definitely like it being that close to go out for a couple of hours on the weekend or hell even a week day. If I had all the time in the world I would probably hit up Possum Kingdom and Texoma. I just wish there were more marinas to drive to that were decent to have some type of poker run or something like that.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am out on lewisville a lot and have never been pulled over - living on top of it makes it way to convient, so i do almost all my boating there, some weekends i like it and others i cant get off of it quick enough. Plenty of water but those wakeboarding boats are everywhere along with the jet ski crowd chasing every thing with a wake.

Like said, keep an eye out and you will be fine and once you learn the lake you can get out of the mess a bit !

I'm hoping to be out Saturday sometime.......
Old 03-25-2017, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its not the most scenic lake in the world , but if you can master the flexibility , early fri afternoon into evening , usually not too crowded - crazy , and you dont have to get up next morning if you stay out late.
Sat , its busiest., but have not seen the crazyness of the old days in many many years . Want that whole lake to yourself go out mon tue nite , sneaky petes is still open where you can tie up and get food and or drinks . Charlies and rockin s open 7 days in summertime now too , i think.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DallasBAJA
Well I should be out both days this weekend if you see me out there flag me down or pull up to me. I would be more then happy to BS with some fellow OSO boaters.

You are out here alot . Even on the windy sundays
Old 03-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by airjunky
You are out here alot . Even on the windy sundays
Yep! Was out both days this weekend. Sunday we went out and it was actually pretty nice. Then some rain was headed this way in the distance and the wind picked up like crazy. That sure was a rough ride back in.

I did get to help some other boaters out on Sunday though. Their battery was dead so backed down the ramp next to them and got them running. Good weekend. Looking like storms all this weekend though.. no fun.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:24 PM
Registered

We saw you out there on sunday, from the rockin s bar over at the marina. Ill be out there this weekend cleaning up the mess from the storms that came through in middle of the night a few days ago. Have a brown wicker couch floating around out there somewhere ,and a glass table went to the bottom of the lake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.