Notices

Trailer Refurbish

Old 03-27-2017, 02:47 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Trailer Refurbish

Looking to refurbish my Extreme steel triple axle trailer in the fall. Is there a shop in Houston area or Austin or DFW that you guys would recommend to strip, clean and repaint a trailer. Also, will need some welding mods done. Could be interested in a new trailer if needed. Don't mind a little drive if they do good work.

Last edited by shunter2005; 03-27-2017 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Add Info
Old 07-14-2017, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had steel trailer that was deteriorating from inside out from saltwater use and I couldn't trust it

got a great deal on all aluminum from a dealer in Florida - triple axle - for my 38ft scarab - very happy with the purchase, if I remember correctly this was 4 years ago and the price was around 7,000.oo with 2 spare tires mounted on front and he delivered it to my door

took him a few weeks but i was not concerned

I just could see investing the cash into the trailer with the amount of cancerous repairs needed

reply if you need the dealers name

its a seahawk trailer i purchased
Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Registered

Try McClain Trailer off I10.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Big Block
Try McClain Trailer off I10.
Thanks, but no thanks. Bought a new galvanized axle from them for my smaller boat trailer a few years ago. Had to replace it two years later and it was freshwater only. Drop down axle sagged due to no support gussets welded in and wore out the tires. Plus, it rusted out.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shunter:

If you don't mind coming over to Austin, I will recommend Magnum Trailer Manufacturing, RR620, Austin. You can see the trailer they built for me on my Avatar. In addition to new manufacturing, they perform sales, rebuilds and repairs to all types of trailers. The owners, Charlie and Vangie are first class professional business persons. Charlie will not allow any second class or illegal repairs to be performed by his employees. Prior to my retirement from the State of Texas, we utilized Magnum Trailer Manufacturing to provide new equipment and repairs for our state owned trailers. I continue to utilize Charlie to service my personal trailers.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Barrydet
Shunter:

If you don't mind coming over to Austin, I will recommend Magnum Trailer Manufacturing, RR620, Austin. You can see the trailer they built for me on my Avatar. In addition to new manufacturing, they perform sales, rebuilds and repairs to all types of trailers. The owners, Charlie and Vangie are first class professional business persons. Charlie will not allow any second class or illegal repairs to be performed by his employees. Prior to my retirement from the State of Texas, we utilized Magnum Trailer Manufacturing to provide new equipment and repairs for our state owned trailers. I continue to utilize Charlie to service my personal trailers.
Funny, you should mention Magnum. I happened onto them one day while searching right after I began this thread. I called and talked to Charlie. He was very helpful and was able to tell me what he could build a new one for, as well as ballpark repairs on my current one. Obviously, to make a good faith estimate he would have to see the trailer. Main thing I wanted was to get it painted after I have a front entry ladder built on the trailer this winter. Like I said earlier, most everyone here builds aluminum for the coast stuff. I am old school and like my steel trailer. However, if I went new, I would consider an aluminum trailer if I could get closed channel.

Actually, I have logged Magnum in my memory bank and will probably use them when I make the changes. Thanks for the vote of confidence for them.

By the way, just looked at your avatar. They do build a nice looking trailer. Next time I am up there, I am going to stop in and look at some of them.

Last edited by shunter2005; 07-17-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 07-18-2017, 08:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by shunter2005
Thanks, but no thanks. Bought a new galvanized axle from them for my smaller boat trailer a few years ago. Had to replace it two years later and it was freshwater only. Drop down axle sagged due to no support gussets welded in and wore out the tires. Plus, it rusted out.
That is not good. They built an axle for me a few years back and it has been maintenance free. It only see's salt water and have been very happy using them on misc projects over the years.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Barrydet
Shunter:

Barry

I talked to Charlie again today about my trailer. He was great to talk to and has that "can do attitude". Once I get my EOH brake conversion completed, I am going to head up to Austin and get him to refurb the entire trailer. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had a "small" accident a couple year ago and Victory Marine in Dickinson completely rebuilt my tripe axel. Great work, has lasted three years , and decent pricing. Ask for Bill.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SANLEONKID
I had a "small" accident a couple year ago and Victory Marine in Dickinson completely rebuilt my tripe axel. Great work, has lasted three years , and decent pricing. Ask for Bill.
SLK - sent you a pm about Victory Marine. Would like to talk to you about it if you have a few minutes. Thanks