Fishing in S. FL or the Keys >

Fishing in S. FL or the Keys

Notices

Fishing in S. FL or the Keys

Old 12-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fishing in S. FL or the Keys

Need some advice from the Florida boaters. My wife and I and another couple are heading to Florida in April for a cruise. We are flying in a day early and my buddy and I want to do some deep sea fishing. We are flying down in his plane, so we can go pretty much anywhere that has a small airport nearby. Any suggestions?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Islamorada
Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I have done a few fishing trips out of Key West and I have to say, I have had more fun fishing the flats with a good guide in a center console then going for a couple "monsters" deep sea. One trip in particular we went out about 10-15 miles west into a huge area of flats. We drifted along this natural channel with light tackle pulling in all kinds of fish 12-24" in size. We also had two deep sea rigs out the back. We caught (2)5-6' Black Tip Shark, (2) 5' Spinner Shark, and a 7' Bull Shark.
All in all we landed a total of 57 fish (23 different species). Best fishing trip I ever had. My other time out on the flats we caught 20+ fish and a few small sharks.
My deep sea trips, I personally got skunked twice and caught a small marlin on a third trip. The only salvation on one of the skunk trips, we caught some grouper on the way in when we stopped at a wreck.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We went Tarpon fishing in early Oct out of Bud & Mary's in Islamorada. We slayed them on light tackle. Although it is getting really hard to catch Bonefish, it is still possible with the same boat and guide. Tarpon fishing is a good balance between in-shore/flats fishing and the ability to catch and release something big. If you are interested, send me an e-mail and I will give you the info on the guide we use.
Ben