Chartering a yacht >

Chartering a yacht

Notices

Chartering a yacht

Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Chartering a yacht

I hope you can help....a co-worker wants to treat his wife to a nice chartered yacht for a few days for their anniversay...maybe go to the Bahamas or the Keys. Would need a captain and maybe a first mate and/or chef.

Not sure how that works but any suggestions with phone numbers would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Patti
Old 03-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

It all depends what they are looking for in their trip. You can go anywhere from a small boat (40-60 ft) to something crazy. It also depends what they want to do, and where they want to go. I used to work on a 150ft out of Palm Beach and we would go down and do charters all around the bahamas. Our rates were about $15000 a day, without expenses (booze, food, tips, etc..).

It also depends if they want power or sail. Personally, if I had 4 days or so, I would charter a 50-60ft cat already in the bahamas, and cruise all around for a few days, then fly home. That is probably going to be the cheapest of the options, but make sure it is a good captain, I have heard, and seen some horror stories (both inability to dock, and just belligerent drunk and banging on doors in the middle of the night).

If they wanted to do the Bahamas in a 80-100ft power yacht, I would would probably have a crew of three (captain, stewardess, chef, maybe mate). Then it would be easiest, to meet the boat in Nassau and go from there.

Pretty much, if you are limited on days, taking a yacht from florida anywhere, you are going to crush half the trip underway, and waste time since the trip (from Lake worth to Nassau) is about 14 hours at 12-14kts.

As to where to find a yacht, there are a thousand places, charterworld.com has a good selection, they show what is available in the area and when, and what the yacht offers. Otherwise I would look up a charter agent in Ft. Lauderdale, there are about 50 on SE 17th st within a mile of each other.

Here are a few numbers, but there are hundreds.

IYC -954-522-2323
Merle Wood - 954-525-5111
The sacks group - 954-764-7742

If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a pm.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard goods things about this outfit out of Miami. Never dealt with them though.

http://www.sandbarhopper.com/
Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
I have passed on the information and will let you know if I need anything else.

Regards,
Patti