Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Registered

Bravo 1 woes in Atlanta

Hi all, I could use some help and advice from the group in deciding what direction to go in to solve a Bravo 1 problem I have.

I believe my lower unit case is damaged beyond repair, (unfortunate land backing incident, silly of me to not understand 'ok, ok, ok' actually meant 'backup, backup, stop before you hit this low piece of concrete'). Frankly it wasn't pretty before the incident, now it's uglier and no longer watertight !

So, it seems my favorite options, constrained by cost, are to either find a complete used lower, or a new or used lower case and have someone transfer my internals. I feel I could swap out the unit myself, I know I don't have the ability or tools to rebuild it. I'm not keen on having it stripped and welded up, if that's even an option.

Any suggestions as to the most cost effective solution would be much appreciated, and any ideas as to where to source trustworthy parts, and or services, locally would be welcome. I'm based near Lilburn and there's not many providers I've found until I get near Lanier.

NB - there's one posted in the swap shop for $500 but it would have to ship from NJ, it looks like a complete skeg has been welded on and needs at least seals; not really what I'm looking for to be honest.

I've used a local marine mechanics shop in Flowery Branch and they're ok, pretty helpful, but also quite expensive and, frankly, attention to detail hasn't been their strong point in the past !
    Last edited by rsparso; 04-09-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Registered
    My Boats:
    1989 Formula 272 SR-1 1979 Formula 255 Liberator...My 4th Formula
    You can buy a new SEI aftermarket replacement for $945 + Tax etc.

http://www.sterndrive.cc/mm5/merchan...ravoSterndrive

[IMG][/IMG]

Registered
    My Boats:
    2000 Donzi ZX 28
    Craigs list Ft. Myers:

Bravo one lower unit, good condition, $700. (317) 431-5348.

Registered
    Thanks for pointing those out. The SEI looks tempting. I'll see if I can talk to the Ft Myers seller. I suppose in my dreams I was going to find a $200 empty lower case and a good mechanic would transfer my internals for another $300. Dream on.... !

Registered
    My Boats:
    26 Velocity 496 MAG HO 1977 Borum jet 557 Ford
    Tim Spear at Pro-Boat service is very good and a guy you can trust. He may have have a used case or do the transfer for you. His shop is in Woodstock GA.

My Boats:
    1982 Pantera 24sport
    Go with the SEI, 3 year unconditional warranty, you cant beat the deal.