Outdrive refinishing recommendations >

Outdrive refinishing recommendations

Notices

Outdrive refinishing recommendations

Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boomer35
Merc sells the paint, about 20$/can. It works pretty well... Its cheap enough that you can touch up every time out of the water if you wanted....

i took my drives, sanded them down, and applied a few coats of this paint, it didnt last forever, but the price was right and touch ups were easy and made them look new again...

since then ive had them proffesionally painted at an auto body shop,
That is another way, I just prefer a catalyzed paint.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
I dont realy have a shop anymore either, more like a garage we hang out at drinking beer and wrenching on boats, but to shoot a couple drives aint no thang, heck, I have shot complete Merc 250 outboards hanging from an engine hoist in my driveway. Since you have done bodywork in the past, I am sure you understand prep is more than half the battle. I'll PM you my #, but in and out of meetings(annual reviews) all day, best time to call would be between 5 and 6PM on my ride home.

Rick
Rick I totally understand the prep comment...the painting is the easy part.

I have a DA and a little compressor at my house so I could sand them down there, I just can't spray anything there. I'll give you a shout later and thanks again for the offer!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

if you were up here in Pa. Jason I'd do it for you, what color are you going with ? if your going with black, thats the cheapest color you can get, red being the most expensive. i just did mine, heck if you did the work that you did on the bilge and you got an air compressor and want to save money do it yourself I can walk you through what you need as far as materials and how you need to prep it, you can get a gun at harbor freight for $20, if you can use a spray bomb with out running the paint, you can use a gun....
Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Registered

Wondering if anyone has had an outdrive powdercoated?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcwcar
if you were up here in Pa. Jason I'd do it for you, what color are you going with ? if your going with black, thats the cheapest color you can get, red being the most expensive. i just did mine, heck if you did the work that you did on the bilge and you got an air compressor and want to save money do it yourself I can walk you through what you need as far as materials and how you need to prep it, you can get a gun at harbor freight for $20, if you can use a spray bomb with out running the paint, you can use a gun....
Thanks for the offer Joe! My only issue is the space to spray it in. I did autobody work for years and sprayed many a car so I know how to work a gun. Although it has been awhile since I last did it I'm sure it would come right back to me. Like I said, I just don't have anywhere to spray them.

The more I think about it I'm going to sand them all down and prep them myself. Then ideally I'd like to have a professional spray them in a booth in a shop because they will be black and I know how black shows every little spec of dust. If I can't do that I might take Rick up on his generous offer to help me...and bring him plenty of beer
Old 06-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonmd2
Thanks for the offer Joe! My only issue is the space to spray it in. I did autobody work for years and sprayed many a car so I know how to work a gun. Although it has been awhile since I last did it I'm sure it would come right back to me. Like I said, I just don't have anywhere to spray them.

The more I think about it I'm going to sand them all down and prep them myself. Then ideally I'd like to have a professional spray them in a booth in a shop because they will be black and I know how black shows every little spec of dust. If I can't do that I might take Rick up on his generous offer to help me...and bring him plenty of beer
It might be worth the $100-$150 bucks to find a local mobile sand blaster to strip them for you? That's what I did to mine. Always better to start with virgin metal!

Just a thought!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Registered

Is sand blasting okay or do they need to be media blasted? Also only the drives need to be blasted, right? The transom assemblies (inner/outer) and gimbal can just be sanded, right?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Joe
Platinum Member

I used stuff called Black beauty the real fine stuff, to blast mine, just make sure you got everything plugged up, that stuff gets everywhere......you can blast everything, you probily got a little corrosion on the transom assemblies its just easier to blast them then trying to sand them out, if they were still on the boat and they weren't corroded that bad, than i might sand them and paint, but you have them off, blast them its faster than sanding them.....
Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
I dont realy have a shop anymore either, more like a garage we hang out at drinking beer and wrenching on boats, but to shoot a couple drives aint no thang, heck, I have shot complete Merc 250 outboards hanging from an engine hoist in my driveway. Since you have done bodywork in the past, I am sure you understand prep is more than half the battle. I'll PM you my #, but in and out of meetings(annual reviews) all day, best time to call would be between 5 and 6PM on my ride home.

Rick
Hi Rick-

What paint type/ brand do you use to paint the lowers/mids of an outboard? I need to paint my clamps.

Thanks
Don
Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Maritime_Eng
Hi Rick-

What paint type/ brand do you use to paint the lowers/mids of an outboard? I need to paint my clamps.

Thanks
Don

Don,

PPG Concept single stage is what I prefer, I usually get the knockoff from matrix systems, but have even used the cheap Duplicolor stuff(not the spraycans) from Advance auto. Any 2 part paint with an actual catalyst(hardener) should be fine, some just have better U.V. cahracteristics than others. Concept is a good overall paint. Is Shaun still racing overseas? I may have to contact him soon about doing some work to my motor

Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.