Default Ft. Myers to the KW

I've got questions and concerns about this type of trip;

advisable or not
does anyone (like FMO) do it regularly
how many miles and how long cruising at 50
how many stops on the way and where
any "special" maps
what time of year is best

I've always wanted to make this trip, was just looking for some info.........and no, I'm not going to run out get in the boat and drive South.

Thanks, Jim (aka joey)
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

awesome trip. about 120 miles from carl johnson boat ramp to KW. did it in a 28 skater.

the weather can make or break this trip.

we ran straight down on the trip too, you loose site of naples by the time your about parallel with marco island. dead flat and averaged 60-75 the whole way.
the way back was a different story. took a beating and had to head in towards marathon and come back up along the coast. and when this happens you need top make sure you have enough fuel.

theres alot of open water.

i'm thinking of doing it again but follow the coast.

a good gps and i started using WATERPROOF Chart's large inland fishing charts. they show navigation detail, marinas and restaurants. quite useful for adventuring out in a boat. we did the KW run with just a handheld gps back in 2002 to see the KW offshore races. good run and theres a few places down there that have reasonable prices hotel rooms and boat slips.

the weather and especially the wind play the biggest factor. plus the wind changes direction when you go around marco.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks Dave,

Good info, we've been as far South as Marco and I would rather take my time and stay close to the coast as well and enjoy the ride.

We'll probably wait to try and go with a small group the first time, I think it's always best to have some company on a long run in case there's a mechanical problem, I'll definitely chart my stops ahead ot time before we go.

Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim (aka joey)
Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Registered

problem with running coast is it almost doubles the mileage and fuel usage. now if your exploring and want to spend a night along the backside of the keys its a better idea.

the main issue i found is wind. it can be flat as a lake out front of bonita and 4-6's down around marco or vice verus. seen it rougher behind sanibel and flat out front ?

pm me if you need any other info or if you'll be out running around this weekend ?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by skaterdave
problem with running coast is it almost doubles the mileage and fuel usage. now if your exploring and want to spend a night along the backside of the keys its a better idea.

the main issue i found is wind. it can be flat as a lake out front of bonita and 4-6's down around marco or vice verus. seen it rougher behind sanibel and flat out front ?

pm me if you need any other info or if you'll be out running around this weekend ?
We get out most weekends and would love to talk to you about it some more, but not this weekend, we've got a guy in the house tomorrow doing some drywall knockdown work, bummer, maybe next weekend.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Registered

we might make a run down to everglades city for seafood fest. let me know if you interested in that.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by skaterdave
we might make a run down to everglades city for seafood fest. let me know if you interested in that.

It looks like Seafood fest is next weekend, we might be interested, we live in the Cape near Rumrunners, where do you boat out of, it looks like Carl J. ramp is near Bonita Springs.

Is this a day trip, do you spend the night, I googled it and it looks like it's a bear to get into E City with a boat like mine, another thing, my Formula top speed is a bit over 70, but I'm sure you know that, we usually like to cruise at 50-55, that might be a drag for you guys.

Any info would be great, thanks.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Registered

all depends on the wind ? north or northeast would be good

thinking my dad wants to shove my mom in the back so it might be a cruising day. and no i didn't plan in staying over. looks to be about 60 miles each way. just did the run with bob from FMO in his donzi. was awesome run but that was from marco which is about 1/3 the mileage.

and yes i put in at lover's key. only about 15 min from my house and is pretty nice ramp.

did you go to sarasota with fmo group ? what do the rest of those guys do inbetween events ?

never really see to many powerboater out there anymore ?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered

We went to the Sarasota run with FMO. It was a blast!

I also would love to do the KW run. Lets plan it. We are around all year and we get out and boat almost every weekend around the area. We love to run up river and Lock through and head out that way but this time of year its slow zone from just before train bridge to past I-75. Makes for a fun day with a small group. Also thinking about doing a run to the east coast that way also. We did are first run with FMO to sarasota this year. We have done it on our own a few times before and if you like to take your time the ICW is the way to go. I top out at 75MPH and didnt care to beat the crap out of the boat and we sat back and ran about 50-55MPH its a perfect speed for my boat.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=skaterdave

did you go to sarasota with fmo group ? what do the rest of those guys do inbetween events ?

never really see to many powerboater out there anymore ?[/QUOTE]

I 2nd that we never see anyone out and if we do its rare. And both boats are waving to each other like its the first go fast boat on earth... I think the other guys must be cleaning and re-powering in preparation for the next run They have some pretty amazing Boats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.