Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
Familly vacation on the boat Marco isle to Keys or fort lauderdale to Keys ? >

Familly vacation on the boat Marco isle to Keys or fort lauderdale to Keys ?

Notices

Familly vacation on the boat Marco isle to Keys or fort lauderdale to Keys ?

Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Familly vacation on the boat Marco isle to Keys or fort lauderdale to Keys ?

Heading south for a family vacation on the boat on march 20. It’l be my first experience in FL with my boat. Initialy, the plan was to launch in Fort Lauderdale and travel from there to Key west in a 10 days time frame. Our activities resumes in beach, snorkeling, overnighting on the boat in secluded islands and bays, fishing, overnighting /marinas and here and there staying in hotels when tired of the boat comfort… We do that a lot here up north during the summer time…
What is appealing in the keys is : Services, marinas everywhere, some decent coral heads to explore snorkeling. These good snorkeling spots are offshore like alligator reef…
And then I started reading about the west coast and form my readings : calmer waters, warmer water temps etc… Nicier beaches,
Seems that March and April are the windier months. Is this a problem with the route from Fort Lauderdale to Key West? Is the Hawk Channel rough on windy days? Would it be best to launch the boat in Marco Island and then travel south to reach the keys?
One other thing, planing wise (flight tickets for wife and kids), if our home port is on the west side, we get two more days on site
I am a little confused and need your help Florida friends. The boat is a single 27
Old 02-12-2016, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Why not enjoy both coasts utilizing the St. Lucie-Lake Ocachoobe (?)-Ft. Myers passage. You can circumnavigate the entire area you are talking about.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Registered

Is this a long ride? How Is the hawk Channel in march? Managable? How about leaving from marathon and following the coast Line to reach the Keys? Rough waters in that area?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Friends circumnavigated this run in 20ft center consoles with singles. They did it in 4-5 days enjoying time at each stop.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Registered

Found this about my boat :

"One of the more pleasant surprises was how the 275 rode in 3' to 5' confused seas. Those conditions did take the boat to its limit—a simple factor of length versus wave height and spacing—but the 275 handled them without excessively jarring its occupants, banging or rattling"

Now, i've never rode on the ocean but i can tell you that 4 to 5' swells on lake Champlain ny is NOT a fun ride !!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Registered

Great diversity on this run. Everything from Alligators, Manatees, Lobster, Coral reefs, Native mangroves, Bald Eagles and Brown eagles, and World Famous record holding Large Bass fishing, where 5 lb is a baby. Swamps, Rivers, Canals and Locks (great fun, really) Underwater National Park, Open Blue water, Developed areas, Luxury housing Hottest Beached in US, Bars, Hotels including Luxury, Small Islands and plenty of natural beauty and camping. That trip is about on par with spending a month on Lake Powell. Try to stay as long as you can so you have time to take it all in.
As far as the seas I think you are asking us to predict the weather for that week. In my experiences Good Weather = Good Water - Bad Weather =BETTER Water (Some like it a little rougher).
Stop worrying and have a GREAT trip. I'm Envious.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JS232
Found this about my boat :

"Now, i've never rode on the ocean but i can tell you that 4 to 5' swells on lake Champlain ny is NOT a fun ride !!
Look at the swell length that will tell you a lot. I doubt you will see anything 4-5' and there is always the "Ditch" The ICW is always right there.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

js232... your kids are off school these dates? or you simply make them miss school?
Old 02-12-2016, 04:36 PM
Registered

Kindergarten and maternelle... The boys are 4 and 5 They Wont miss much :-)
Old 02-12-2016, 04:39 PM
Registered

Been a while Jeff. Last Time i saw you it was on lake George 10 years ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.