Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Spectre
Spectre OB or IO >

Spectre OB or IO

Notices

Spectre OB or IO

Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flying Skunks, I shouldn't say XR's won't work on a cat but I don't think they will last long term if you run the boat hard or want big HP. That is one thing I find interesting on most Spectre's, most have XR's which I think is one of the main things that holds back the value on the 36's. All the Spectre's run very well compared to the other brands but once you decide to go inboard which is a must over 32 feet you really should have #6's or Arneson's in order to handle the power most will want to throw at them.

As for what was wrong with my boat the list from the beginning was long but I've just about got everything worked out now no thanks to them. The biggest issues were wiring and the rigging. The wiring had an issue where both motors were tied together through either the key switches, trim pumps, or aux systems, I never could identify exactly where the issue was so I ended up re-doing all the wiring in the boat and miraculously no more problem there. I'm not a professional rigger but have done a ton of wiring work and it's not rocket science, was just a PITA to redo myself after paying for a new boat.

As for the rigging they didn't have the motor's on the transom correctly, when I first got it I had to re tighten the jack plate bolts every time I went out, then realized the motors weren't even square on the transom. I gave them two or three chances to get it right then after realizing that they weren't going to get it right and I would never see the parts or money they owed me I cut my losses with them and fixed everything myself. I've actually got everything off the back ATM and am in the process of painting and re rigging the motors.

Bottom line I love the boat it's just taken longer than I'd hoped buying a new boat would have taken to get it here.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed that most of the mid-sized ( 32-36) cats run XR drives ..it seams rare to find one with 6's ...I would imagine the stand off boxes does the same for an IB as a Jackplate does for an OB ? I have been looking at many different brands , just seams that Spectre has a good hull design .
Old 04-18-2014, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does a Spectre compare to a Skater ?
I know there are fanboys of either , just don't want a brand war ..I want to make sure I make a good step , not a bad decision ..