Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    2005 288 SUNSATION

water under seat in cabin ??? anybody else

I frequently get water under the seat as you enter the cabin to your immediate left. none of the upholstery ever gets wet, so I definitley don't think its the rub-rail,,, boat is at the marina and service manager spoke w/ Joe, he claims it's comming in through the cabin door track. I say if that was the case the floor and carpet would get wet also, which is not happening.

My theory is that it is comming in through the cockpit floor where the passenger dash is screwed to the cockpit floor, seems to be right in-line with that storage compartment. Either that or it's traveling from the bilge up into the cabin through the drain holes... anybody else experience water in under this seat in that storage compartment ???
    Last edited by Chris288; 02-28-2006 at 07:35 AM.

Rough Seas Lie Ahead Gold Member Reckless32's Avatar

Re: water under seat in cabin ??? anybody else

Nope. In neither the 288 or the 32 yet, and I frequently get caught in the rain during the course of the summer.
    I HAVE NO TIME NOR THE INCLINATION TO EXPLAIN MYSELF TO THOSE WHO SLEEP UNDER THE BLANKET OF THE VERY FREEDOM THAT I PROVIDE, THEN QUESTIONS THE MANNER IN WHICH I PROVIDE IT - (A Few Good Men)

CMC
    Gold Member Gold Member

I had a similar problem with a Baja. If there was even the slightest bit of water in the bilge, it would travel up the drain pipe to this storage compartment in the cabin. When the boat travels and slows down, the water surges forward. I always felt it was because the PVC pipe was level or not pitched properly during construction.

Are we having fun, yet? Charter Member Gizmo's Avatar
    My Boats:
    95' 32' Sunsation, 500hps

I got caught in two bad storms summer before last and had a small amount of water in the compartment under the step as you go into the cabin. Other than that, mine has been dry as a bone, inside of course.
    Jay

My Boats:
    2005 288 SUNSATION

Thanks for the replies,, like I said the entire cabin is dry but pick up that seat cushion and there is water in the storage compartment.. Gotta be the cockpit floor or the bilge drains.. When I get the boat back I will shine a light in there and run some water over the cockpit floor..

Registered

I had the same problem in the past. The bilge had 1-2 inches in it and if the trailer was not on level ground (bow down a little) water would wet the under seat storage area. Drain the bilge and park on level ground and it will never happen.

Rough Seas Lie Ahead Gold Member Reckless32's Avatar

Possi-blee thru the rubrail, or if you have an anchor locker you might have gotten a pin hole in the bottom and it's leaking wash water? Don't know really if it could, if true. Just trying to think out of the box.

Or perhaps you have had bilge water move forward thru the floor and somehow splashed up thru after hitting a wave??? Agian if even possible.
    I HAVE NO TIME NOR THE INCLINATION TO EXPLAIN MYSELF TO THOSE WHO SLEEP UNDER THE BLANKET OF THE VERY FREEDOM THAT I PROVIDE, THEN QUESTIONS THE MANNER IN WHICH I PROVIDE IT - (A Few Good Men)

My Boats:
    2005 288 SUNSATION

Well, it most certainly is comming in through the bilge,, thanks for all the replies,,, now my only question is, why is this not sealed off, and second, why would Susation put carpet in this compartment knowing water can get in there ?? Kinda useless for storage, between getting wet and moldy..
    Last edited by Chris288; 06-06-2006 at 02:40 PM.