Dominator toe in/toe out?

Notices

Dominator toe in/toe out?

Old 06-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dominator toe in/toe out?

A couple of weeks ago I "visually" thought my drives were not aligned correctly (1st mistake) so I "messed" with it. Basically adjusted the tie bar outward creating what is now a toe-in situation and consequently scrubbed 500 rpm and 10 mph off my speed.

So I have gone back out and this time very carefully using as "visually" straight drives as I could with drives in a down position, a wooden yardstick, adjusted my toe (bullett/low water pickup) to where it is now 1/8th of an inch (35 1/8th")out further than the tip of my propless drive shafts (35" even).

I didn't pay much attention to the original adjustment (2nd mistake) but I think the tiebar was pretty much or close to it, adjusted all the way in making for a toe-out setup?

BTW this is with the IMCO steering.

Has anyone with a late model Dominator know the correct setup, or could measure their factory setup just to have a baseline from which to go by before I call and bug Algonac?
Old 06-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Default Re: Dominator toe in/toe out?

I heard on the Sunsation site that the setup was 34 7/16" between the two prop shafts at the factory. I just tried and my tie-bar would not adjust in that far (tad too long). So max adjustment "in" put the shafts at 34 6/8" and the tip of the bullets at 35 4/8" apart?

My tie-bar length from the end up against against the lock nut. and to the center of the bolt at the other end is exactly 26 1/4" long.

Last edited by Reckless32; 06-23-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:35 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

I talked to Joe also about this less than a week ago. That dimension is the most common, but if the drives vary in spacing thru the transom that dimension can vary as well. He told me that the best performance is to have the prop shafts just 1/8" inward. Straight on is not good, and more than an 1/8" will steel top end speed, so take your time..
Old 06-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Unless my math is weak, that would mean my bullets currently are 6/8's apart (284 total 8ths) from shafts (278 total 8ths). I would need to adjust my shafts back OUT approximately another 2/8 of an inch to an even 35". This should put my bullets at 35 2/8 making a difference of approximately 2/8" toe out at least doing it with a visual line up of the drives. Sound right or am I numerically dyslexic?
Old 06-27-2006, 02:32 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Reckless32
Unless my math is weak, that would mean my bullets currently are 6/8's apart (284 total 8ths) from shafts (278 total 8ths). I would need to adjust my shafts back OUT approximately another 2/8 of an inch to an even 35". This should put my bullets at 35 2/8 making a difference of approximately 2/8" toe out at least doing it with a visual line up of the drives. Sound right or am I numerically dyslexic?
2/8s is the cufusing part..LOL that's
1/4" on this side of the Ocean..LOL

I guess the easy way to say this is.
The bullet end of the drive should measure 1/8" more than center prop shaft too center prop shaft.

Also do this with the drive trimmed to the location that you get your best top end speed.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Yeah after all the gobblety-gook about 8ths that's what meant...

Now are you saying it does make a difference where the drives are trimed at? I've done everything with them trimmed all the way down or in. Would half-way between all the way in, and the trim limit stop be a good spot to measure from?

I know I'm beating this to death, but I want to set it, and leave it alone.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

With you drives all the way down / first thing is find the small dimple behind the merc sticker on the gimble housing ( its centered towards the top should be able to run your nail over and find it) put small dot on each one of the gimble's centered on the dimple and take that mesurement. This is your drive spacing , now mesure prop shaft to prop shaft using the small dimple in the center also. Set it up so the mesurement at the props is around 1/16" less than that of the top......
Old 06-29-2006, 11:21 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Now that is good gouge on how to ensure the drives are straight. Exactly what I was looking for. Also heard the scribe marks on the transom itself just above the transom plates is another guideline. Thanks!

Last edited by Reckless32; 06-29-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

FYI....Just measured using a wooden yardstick the scribe marks on the transom above the plates, and it came out to 34 7/16" apart. Found the dimples on the transom plate itself high-center under the stickers, and they were 1/16" less than the scribe marks at 34 6/16" total.

So it looks a +/- error rate of 1/16" depending on which one is correct, and which you use....
Old 06-29-2006, 03:03 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Reckless32
Yeah after all the gobblety-gook about 8ths that's what meant...

Now are you saying it does make a difference where the drives are trimed at? I've done everything with them trimmed all the way down or in. Would half-way between all the way in, and the trim limit stop be a good spot to measure from?

I know I'm beating this to death, but I want to set it, and leave it alone.

I took notice of my trim gauge at WOT and best speed. then once back on the trailer I set the drives at the same location and adjusted them accordingly. That's the location of the drives that give me my best speed so that's where I want it to be perfect.

Quick Reply: Dominator toe in/toe out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.