Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
Trading Powerquest for a Sunsation? >

Trading Powerquest for a Sunsation?

Notices

Trading Powerquest for a Sunsation?

Old 06-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading Powerquest for a Sunsation?

Hello and thanks in advance for your input. I am thinking about trading my 2003 Powerquest 260 Legend for this 2005 Sunsation 288 http://captainschoiceboats.com/boatsforsale.html It's on page 5 the 2005 CB.

This is what I would like opinions on:

Anyone dealt with this dealer?

What is the boat truely worth in todays market?

My boat and the Sunsation are in equally nice condition with same hours except mine is freshwater only. Both have 496 HO's What's a fair trade difference?

How much real difference is there in size? The Sunsation is an 8ft beam opposed to the Powerquests 8'6" beam. I believe the Sunsation is 300lbs heavier.

The biggest reason I am considering trading is because of the performance limitations of the Powerquest Hull(built in Hook). Will the Sunsation be a stable ride if I get it to 80 or so?

If I have the numbers right it seems the Sunsation is a couple MPH faster with the same power than my Powerquest. Does 68 on GPS sound about right for the Sunsation?

How much of a gain would I get by adding 100 or so HP? Raylar Kit with headders and ECU upgrade(might go 550 or so,can't remember!

Thanks again for any inpuit or advice!

PS The powerquest is a nice ride...just wanna bit more performance and might as well go a little bigger!

Last edited by pachanga; 06-28-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sunnys are nice boats. You will gain some in size, but loose some in freeboard. But gain a lot in looks. I've ridden next to both. I believe the Sun rides better in the snot. I'm sure Reckless will chime in. I used to run him with his 288 and it is a definite 68 or better depending on if that boat has the newer hull.

Doubt you will see 80 without a blower.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Registered

I haven't asked yet. 2005 is when they suposedly went to the full step. I could always take the procharged 454 outta my Pachanga and put the 496 back in the Pachanga. Not sure I wanna give up the trouble free fuel injection though(carbed procharger setup).

Originally Posted by Macklin
Sunnys are nice boats. You will gain some in size, but loose some in freeboard. But gain a lot in looks. I've ridden next to both. I believe the Sun rides better in the snot. I'm sure Reckless will chime in. I used to run him with his 288 and it is a definite 68 or better depending on if that boat has the newer hull.

Doubt you will see 80 without a blower.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

You may want to go to Sunsation's site and go to the forums. There are some 288s with HO's with Raylar kits on them Livewire just did his, I think he is running low 80s with the kit.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Susnation has put a few of our Raylar equipped 496's in the new 288s' and a few in build right now even for their 32' and owners will see low 80mph with those 288S hulls and 90+ in the 32's. As for the older 288 models I think the x height may be a little lower and the weights a bit more, but I still feel a 525 equipped 496 in these boats with the right propping will see 76-78mph easily as Sunsations are good fast hulls, with good handling.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Attached Thumbnails Trading Powerquest for a Sunsation?-raylar-sunsation-ho525ss.jpg  
Old 06-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
You may want to go to Sunsation's site and go to the forums. There are some 288s with HO's with Raylar kits on them Livewire just did his, I think he is running low 80s with the kit.
He ended up with a Whipple. But I do agree Live Wire would be a good one to talk too.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
He ended up with a Whipple. But I do agree Live Wire would be a good one to talk too.
Yeah - thought about that after I posted this and remembered he switched. But I think the Raylar will be similar results. Personally, I would go Raylar, but that is just a personal preference.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. Did some reading on the Sunsation websight.

Yeap...livewire went whipple...If I remeber he was around 625HP and around 83 GPS.

Suprised I'm not getting any input on values. The guy at Velocity says my boat is an easy sell. Opposite with the guy who has the Sunsation! Yes I am looking!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pachanga
Thanks for the info. Did some reading on the Sunsation websight.

Yeap...livewire went whipple...If I remeber he was around 625HP and around 83 GPS.

Suprised I'm not getting any input on values. The guy at Velocity says my boat is an easy sell. Opposite with the guy who has the Sunsation! Yes I am looking!
I'd be suspicious of anyone who said any boat is an easy sell in the current economy. Nice thought - but there are tons of folks that might challenge that comment.

Hope it is - but I'd test the market before believing that comment.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Registered

I have been researching values like crazy. I can get pricing info on Bucvalues for my boat but can't find a thing about sunsation. This I don't understand! My understanding is Bucvalues is based on actual trade info.

Don't know how accurate NADA is on the 2 boats but in our beginning discussion I will take a hit on my boat valuewise to the Sunsation.

Can any dealers out there throw the hard numbers on the 2 boats?

This really has me scratching my head! http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...98805&r=quebec
A new 2009 for the same advertised price...albiet it's in Canada.

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
I'd be suspicious of anyone who said any boat is an easy sell in the current economy. Nice thought - but there are tons of folks that might challenge that comment.

Hope it is - but I'd test the market before believing that comment.

Quick Reply: Trading Powerquest for a Sunsation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.