High Speeds in the 288 >

High Speeds in the 288

Notices

High Speeds in the 288

Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default High Speeds in the 288

I am running a 26ZX Donzi that is starting to run out of hull at 95mph. Once I get it propped right it might just break 100 but that will pretty much be it.

I have admired the lines of a 288 for some time and heard great things about Sunsation. I was wondering what kind of experiences you guys had with that hull with big power? How does the hull handle at 95+? Has anyone taken this hull north of 100?
Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZXXX,

We are still tuning and testing a 2008 MCOB 288. It has a 525 whippled with an estimated HP of around 780. So far, we have seen 92.1 on a half tank of fuel and 2 guys and equipment setting fuel pressure. We are hoping to squeak out a couple more with a prop change.

We found the boat to handle the power very well. At first we thought it may require a bit of tab, but found it to like neutral tab right now in a 1-2' chop.

Will it see 100????? Maybe with a bit more work. I think a reasonably safe speed with this package will be about 95-96.

The MCOB is also a bit heavier with a lower X dimension so that is stealing a few mph as well.

Good question, Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails High Speeds in the 288-gedc0484-small-.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MahopacMarine
ZXXX,

We are still tuning and testing a 2008 MCOB 288. It has a 525 whippled with an estimated HP of around 780. So far, we have seen 92.1 on a half tank of fuel and 2 guys and equipment setting fuel pressure. We are hoping to squeak out a couple more with a prop change.

We found the boat to handle the power very well. At first we thought it may require a bit of tab, but found it to like neutral tab right now in a 1-2' chop.

Will it see 100????? Maybe with a bit more work. I think a reasonably safe speed with this package will be about 95-96.

The MCOB is also a bit heavier with a lower X dimension so that is stealing a few mph as well.

Good question, Thanks!
Nice! I am reaching the conclusion (not that I am shocked)that is a limit for pretty much any big single that is under 30'.

I hope to hear more as you dial it in. Thanks for the answer
Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Registered

I think that it is cool that you guys are playing around with a project like that MCOB!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
Nice! I am reaching the conclusion (not that I am shocked)that is a limit for pretty much any big single that is under 30'.

Sorry dude thats not true about the speed, I've run 102 in a 25 sun, we detuned so to run pump gas. My Buddys boat is a 28 heat Nordic and it runs 115. Its not the boat holding you back it
is the CASH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Howards clam 130. in a 28. You put enough power to a brick and it can go fast!!
Attached Thumbnails High Speeds in the 288-04-16-09_1109%5B1%5D-2-.jpg  
Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by risingsun
Sorry dude thats not true about the speed, I've run 102 in a 25 sun, we detuned so to run pump gas. My Buddys boat is a 28 heat Nordic and it runs 115. Its not the boat holding you back it
is the CASH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Howards clam 130. in a 28. You put enough power to a brick and it can go fast!!
Oh I actually have more beans left in my system. My comment was that things are getting pretty squirrely at 95. Some of that is probably seat time. I am in the process of adding bigger tabs. That should help some. I can spin my 850 harder. It will pull to 6,200 and make 942 hp and that is before race gas. That is starting to get pretty far beyond the limit of my drive. I am not trying to set a record, just have a little fun without getting anyone hurt. I have heard rumors of my hull being taken to 105 and that was not pretty. On the other hand, I have heard that my hull is done at 85 and that is not true either.

How does that big Nordic handle at 115? There is one around here that likes big power. It should be a good bit more stable than mine as it is more boat. I felt sure that some one was seeing numbers like that in a 288.

I want to enjoy the upper limits of single-enginedom before it is time to write more checks.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,070 Likes on 283 Posts

Ive drivin a 32 Sunny (single) at a lil over 90 with no walk issues at all. Handled nice Nice package but took a lot of HP to get there. Its a different style boat,but, If you dont mind a less plush cabin Ive run a 29 Kryptonite to tripple digits w/o an issue either. Both great boats
Old 05-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=ZXXX Donzi;2856753]Oh I actually have more beans left in my system. My comment was that things are getting pretty squirrely at 95. Some of that is probably seat time. I am in the process of adding bigger tabs. That should help some. I can spin my 850 harder. It will pull to 6,200 and make 942 hp and that is before race gas. That is starting to get pretty far beyond the limit of my drive. I am not trying to set a record, just have a little fun without getting anyone hurt. I have heard rumors of my hull being taken to 105 and that was not pretty. On the other hand, I have heard that my hull is done at 85 and that is not true either.

How does that big Nordic handle at 115? There is one around here that likes big power. It should be a good bit more stable than mine as it is more boat. I felt sure that some one was seeing numbers like that in a 288.

I want to enjoy the upper limits of single-enginedom before it is time to write more checks.[/QUOTE

That wasnt meant the way it sounded,sorry. Just most people won't spend the extra cash to push it that far. The motor is only part of it as you know. hyd steer,bigger tabs, stronger drives,and the list goes on! Glens 28 heat runs great! The drive is the week link,he has 1300 hp,. He does a good job driving at 110 and burst to 115. I posted some pic of it on the nordic side.I called about putting big power in a 28 and they said there looking into it. I like the new 28 also and I'm with you on the check writing I just love to BOAT!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi

27/29 kryptonites, 27 activators, 29 activators are all pushing 100mph easy..... the 30 phantom, which measures 29'10 also breaks 100.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
27/29 kryptonites, 27 activators, 29 activators are all pushing 100mph easy..... the 30 phantom, which measures 29'10 also breaks 100.
Yes, I was aware of some of the racing boats doing it. Eddie Young had a Phantom with big power. He said it ran way north of 100 and did it well. I would imagine a few other of the race bred boats like Joker are good to go too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.