looking in to buying a sunsation need help

Notices

looking in to buying a sunsation need help

Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking in to buying a sunsation need help

hey guy im looking at a new boat upgrading from my scarab 22

first boat sunsation 1996 aggressor hp500 stroked to a 540 just over 600 hp build drive, tabs, a real nice set up. 18,000

second boat is a 2000 288 with a blown big block also a nice boat 650 hp 33,000

of course i know the big boat will ride better but i am looking at pro and cons for each one of these boats

what was the construction materials for these boat, quality, top speed, i live in the clearwater, fl area so gulf of mexico is where it will be used so some times it can get rough.

anyinfo on these boats would be awesome i love the look of these boats.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say it needs a headliner in cabin, if the outdrive has not been upgraded it will break under that king of hp. Make sure it has k planes instead of tabs and I would guess mid 80s with that hp and I personally would want full hyd steering at that kind of speed
Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The build of the hull will be the same, Sunsation builds a great hull no matter what year it is. As Fasthawk said make sure the boat has K Planes and Hydraulic steering because with that HP both boats are going to be really fast. I would go for the 288 if you got the money. It is newer and bigger and might have K-planes from the factory and not just tabs, and make sure it has external hydraulic steering. Those options cost a lot to add on to the boat later after you buy it. I got a small Sunsation Rocket which is basically the same as the Aggressor which is a great boat but the 288 rides much better! I wish I had the money for a 288 when I bought my Sunny. A Bravo drive is very stressed with that much HP, so see if that is modified for the HP. If not you will need to take it easy on the drive or also invest in upgrades for that.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Registered

the aggressor motor is fully built and has imco steering and a imco lower not sure on the upper stainless marine headers. the guy spent the money well set up it also has k planes

as for the 288 it sold today not happy but ill find another one if i dont by the aggressor first. but i think i am going to hold out for the 288 i mena why not bigger is always better.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hand laid glass with some use of a chopper gun. Balsa core. Wood transom and stringers. Whatever Sun you look at make sure to check the transom for moisture. They did not do a great job sealing them from the factory.

Last edited by POWERPLAY J; 06-07-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Hand laid glass with some use of a chopper gun. Balsa core. Wood transom and stringers. Whatever Sun you look at make sure to check the transom for moisture. They did jot do a great job sealing them from the factory.
Very true, Ryan had moisture problems in his Dominator.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Funny we were talking about bad sealing this morning.... I removed and resealed my drain plug assembly this afternoon. The sealing in the hole through the transom for the drain was not very good. I found a few soft spots in the hole. It was not bad I was able to chip and chisel all the bad wood out of the hole, about 1/16 to 1/8 inch of bad wood before I found dry wood. Then I mixed up some resin and resealed the wood before reinstalling and resealing the drain plug assembly. Then I remember I think it was last year or the year before that I had a leak in the cuddy. I pulled the hatch window from the cuddy and resealed and the leak was gone. (the sealant had gone bad but its over 20 years old) But I do remember the bare balsa core was not coated with resin, they were just guessing on the sealant around the hatch window being enough. Lucky for me I caught the leak before any balsa core damage. Now all this brings me to my transducer leaking (found that Memorial Weekend). I can't pull the transducer and reseal it without pulling the engine. So last weekend I just put some 5200 around the outside of the transducer (haven't had the boat in the water to know if that will hold until I pull the engine). I hope there is no major damage to the balsa core in the bottom of the boat from that! I will be completely taking apart my boat and doing a full re-rig at the end of this season but I hope I don't find to many surprises!

So Boosted22 don't worry about a Sunsation but make sure it was well taken care of! Mine is 23 years old so it is going to have problems. One of my mistakes was I got it from a guy that didn't take very good care of it. If you buy a older Sunsation make sure you get it from a very anal owner LOL!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to be an issue with sealing bare wood. Not just a Sun problem but should be looked into. Better safe then sorry...