Notices

2005 Dominator SS

Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dominator SS

Good evening:

I just bought an 05 Dominator SS and have a couple of questions

1. Boat came with no ladder and I called Sunsation and Joe was not available. The lady I spoke with said this hull was not designed to have one installed. Not too happy about that response. What are you guys doing?

2. The boat has the 496 Mag's 375hp and at about 70 the boat is chime walking really bad. Where do you guys run the trim and tabs when running wide open?

3. This isn't a question just an issue. Taking the boat out of the water for the first time I didn't have the drives straight while trimming it up and the port drive caught the tab and broke a piece off of the upper case. About a 1 inch by 3 inch piece. My mechanic has pulled the drive and is having the piece welded back on. He also pulled my tabs and had them machined down so this will never happen again. He ended up machine about 1 inch by 3 inch section off of both of the tabs in a tapered angle. Now there is about a 1/2 inch clearance. Anyone ever had this issue?

Thanks new Sunny owner
Greg
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm not a 32 owner but,

1. Have your drives straight before you put them in the "up or trailer position" That is your fault.

2. Sometimes owners are not always at the factory.

3. I have never ran a 32 so I hope the 32 guys will help you with trim and tab positions.

4. Welcome to OSO!!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Registered

I totally agree it was my fault I was just wondering if anyone had ever had the same thing happen with reference to the drives. It's my first boat with twins and hydrolic steering. The young lady I talked to at the factory was very nice and explained that the guys were preparing for LOTO and wouldn't be available but she asked me to call back.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What boat is it? Twin step? Couple ticks above level on the trim. Shouldn't chime walk.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Registered

The boat is a 2005 32 Dominator SS with a windshield. Has the vent but no true step.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Never seen a Sunsation without a ladder so that's odd. If that's the case, it's perfectly easy to grab the handle while stepping on the steering tie rod and pop yourself up on to the boat.

Mine is a straight V but I've driven an 06 SS and it was smooth to 70 and past it. The owner said he rarely messes with the tabs and keeps it neutral. I'm sure someone with more experience than my one time will chime in though.

Edit: Ohhh that sounds just like my boat hull then. I can't imagine how you are getting any chine walk. Usually when I'm pushing it I find I need a couple ticks of tab to keep the bow from bouncing and haven't experienced any chine walk.

I guess moral of the story...none to little tab should be fine.

Last edited by Captain YARRR; 09-05-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Registered

I just talked to my mechanic and he said my tab indicators were not registering correctly, he has fixed the issue. This most likely was the issue with the chine walk. Where would you consider neutral?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

You absolutely can add a ladder to that boat. Joe can set you up with everything you need including detailed instructions. Many have added the ladder on after the fact if one was not installed at the factory.

If the boat is chine walking badly at WOT you are over-trimming the boat.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MILLERIME
I just talked to my mechanic and he said my tab indicators were not registering correctly, he has fixed the issue. This most likely was the issue with the chine walk. Where would you consider neutral?
On his boat neutral is just a tick down from all the way up. I believe the method to make sure is to use a straight edge on the tabs versus the hull. If it's flat you are neutral.

On my boat with the same hull, I find it is best mannered like this: All the way up when you are running on glass. If there's some chop, a couple ticks down on the trim keeps you from bouncing and still keeps her pretty fast.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So its not an SS. Put a 2x4 on the hull and mark on your indicators where neutral is. Trim it like any other V hull. Shouldn't need much if any tab.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.