2001 Dominator Props >

2001 Dominator Props

Notices

2001 Dominator Props

Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Dominator Props

Guys, I am running 28 labbed Bravo 1 props now and I am just not happy with the way the boat runs on the top end. Seems to dance to much and is a handful to drive at WOT. I want to know if you think I might have better luck with Hydro's Quad IV or the Quad IV X. I spent a lot of money having the Bravo's labbed and after 2 seasons I am slower than before I had them reworked. I would like to run the boat flatter and I am thinking about dropping down a pitch in prop and try 27's. BTW I am running 454 mags 385 w bravo 1.5 gears. Top speed is 76.5 and to turn 4700-4800 I have to trim the hell out of the boat. Here is a link to what I am talking about and this was only at about 75 going against the grain. The best I have ever saw was 77.3 on GPS and after speaking to a former owner he claimed he could do 78 GPS all day full of fuel and 4 guys oh and when I bought the boat top speed on the GPS said 78.6. Any advise?? Besides sending them back to be reworked cause I spoke with the guy who did the work and said he could make an adjustment but wanted hundreds of dollars more. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNQeNTqwvTQ
Old 03-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Registered

32:

I recently bought a Dominator and had the same issue with the "dancing around" at speed. I am running 28's with 496 Mag's (375 HP), so I am real close to your setup. I put up a couple of posts regarding this same issue. I got with a buddy of mine, who also owns a Dominator, and he helped me dial in the trim/tap positions at speed. I found the boat does not like any tab...none. When firewalling the throttles I run 1-2 on the tab indicators and about 5 on the trim and I don't have the issue of bouncing around in your video. Best I have seen is 78.3 on GPS, loaded with full and passengers

Greg
Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by 32WANTED
Guys, I am running 28 labbed Bravo 1 props now and I am just not happy with the way the boat runs on the top end. Seems to dance to much and is a handful to drive at WOT. I want to know if you think I might have better luck with Hydro's Quad IV or the Quad IV X. I spent a lot of money having the Bravo's labbed and after 2 seasons I am slower than before I had them reworked. I would like to run the boat flatter and I am thinking about dropping down a pitch in prop and try 27's. BTW I am running 454 mags 385 w bravo 1.5 gears. Top speed is 76.5 and to turn 4700-4800 I have to trim the hell out of the boat. Here is a link to what I am talking about and this was only at about 75 going against the grain. The best I have ever saw was 77.3 on GPS and after speaking to a former owner he claimed he could do 78 GPS all day full of fuel and 4 guys oh and when I bought the boat top speed on the GPS said 78.6. Any advise?? Besides sending them back to be reworked cause I spoke with the guy who did the work and said he could make an adjustment but wanted hundreds of dollars more. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNQeNTqwvTQ
With labbed 28 Bravo I's done by Mercury you should be able to spin 5K RPM. You are over-trimming the boat which is why it is dancing around on the pad at WOT.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I put 450 hours on that set up with 454 mags. The dancing is from over trimming. I found the best tab position was parallel to the bottom. So if your tabs are set up negative, which most are, run a straight edge off the bottom and mark the gauge where they are parallel to the bottom. Your top end will vary a couple mph depending on where you boat. At LOTO at 660 ft above sea level, hot and humid it was a 75 mph boat every day with people, coolers, gas etc. On a cool fall day with light load it would run 78. Powerboat mag got 80.5 from that set up with your prop on a new boat at sea level.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Registered

By the way, if the GPS historical top speed was 78.6, which is similar to what I got one cool fall day, alone, with less than 1/4 tank of gas, I doubt he saw 78 all day every day with fuel and 4 people. Before spending money hoping for better results call Wayne or Joe at the factory. Wayne put 100s of test hours on that hull and swore by the prop you are running.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I will call Wayne and maybe see if he will go for a ride. and will not trim it out so much and redo my numbers and see if there is room for improvement. I will also look at the tabs, they are not Kplanes just bennett dual ram tabs. I don't run any tab at all at WOT and have to trim it out that far to get over 4600 rpm. I have heard that the Bravo was the best prop but wanted to see if anyone was running anything else. I was considering dropping down to a 26P and see how they run. Will keep you updated!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Registered

Good luck. My comment for the tabs was assuming Kplanes
Old 03-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Ask your prop guy if he added cup to the props. That would explain why you cannot turn 5K RPM with a set of labbed 28's and might also explain to some extent the handling issue (carrying the bow too much).
Old 03-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Registered

I will ask them to make sure but its prob my own fault as when I bought the boat it was at the end of the season here in the Mitten and didn't have much stick time with it. So when I got the props worked on I asked for it to carry the bow more and increase the rpm. The previous owner did have props worked at the same location so he had the right recipe to make mine but I just haven't had the same results.