03 288 MCOB Captians Call Flakeyness >

03 288 MCOB Captians Call Flakeyness

Notices

03 288 MCOB Captians Call Flakeyness

Old 06-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 03 288 MCOB Captians Call Flakeyness

Anyone ever have issue with their captains call on the 288's? My captains call switch sometimes works, but other times does nothing, once in awhile it seems to be half and half.

I've never had a boat with captains call and I've just had this boat a little over a week, so very new to me. I've tried switching the switch at idle mostly but also tried while up and running. Had the issue both running and idling.

Any ideas on what it might be ....and is this kind of problem costly to fix?

Last edited by ZeroG; 06-23-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Most likely a weak solenoid, your boat is the same year as mine and i lost one last summer. when you flip the switch it would hold the exhaust open only for a few seconds and then shut. You can order a new three wire solenoid from CP Performance for less than $200.00 it takes about 30 minutes to swap them out.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

First of all, do not switch the exhaust one way or the other if you are running over 3K RPM. First things first. How old is your battery? A weak battery will play havoc with the solenoids operating properly. If you have a fresh, strong battery then you need to check to see how much voltage you are getting to the solenoids.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
3-Wire Test Sheet.pdf (100.4 KB, 98 views)
Old 06-25-2014, 05:16 AM
Registered

Thanks guys. GREAT info. I did not know that about not switching if over 3k ...guess it's best to just switch when idling and that would be my norm except when it was acting up I tried it various times trying to get it to work. The boat just does not sound right running quiet. I''d prefer to have loud all the time rather than be stuck in quiet mode.

I've no clue how old my batteries are. I just bought the boat and the previous owner did not mention recently replacing batteries, and the batteries worked. I did not think to ask that question.

As mentioned in another thread .... Mine does not have a battery charger onboard. Do any of the sunnys come with a battery charger onboard or is that an add on we have to add ourselves? I added one to my Baja and it worked out great. To keep batteries at peak performance I think the batter charger on board helps. What do you guys think?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The battery charger is optional. We have installed many on all the boat models. You can add yourself also. We use Pro Charging Systems Dual Pro DP2 charger.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:46 AM
Registered

Thanks Jeff. With all the other nicities the Sunny's have I was surprised it did not have a built in battery charger, guess you have to draw the line somewhere. I'll plan to get the Pro Charging Systems Dual Pro DP2 charger added at the end of the boating season.