props not hooking up

Notices

props not hooking up

Old 08-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default props not hooking up

OK found a nice clean low hour 32 mcob with 6.2's. I have driven twins with outboards and you push the throttles and go. On this boat 1/2 fuel and 4 people it starts to plane but then the rpms rev to 4500 and the boat just plows until I back off. With the drives tucked in and tabs down, same thing. If I wait and slowly apply power it will hook up then I have to cruise at 40ish just to keep her on plane. I'm gonna call Joe at Sunsation but what gives? It has 1.65 bravos with Mirage Plus 25. Other than this issue the boat is perfect.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Should I be looking at Bravo 1 Props? We boat in the atlantic and it can get rough. I'd also like to add that when I'm climbing up on plane there's a shuddering thru the boat, that goes away once the speed is up around 30ish or more. Normal?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Check out the thread on the Sunsation website forum. We discussed this very topic and it may help
Old 08-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Registered
VIP Member

thanks
Old 08-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by CC247
OK found a nice clean low hour 32 mcob with 6.2's. I have driven twins with outboards and you push the throttles and go. On this boat 1/2 fuel and 4 people it starts to plane but then the rpms rev to 4500 and the boat just plows until I back off. With the drives tucked in and tabs down, same thing. If I wait and slowly apply power it will hook up then I have to cruise at 40ish just to keep her on plane. I'm gonna call Joe at Sunsation but what gives? It has 1.65 bravos with Mirage Plus 25. Other than this issue the boat is perfect.
I had that exact boat but with 3 blade 23's and my buddy had a 2005 version with 4 blade 24's. Boat got on plane very easily.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:24 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Hi Jupiter, I was gonna pm you because I've read your posts about your boat. I talked with Sunsation and they said the boat came with 23 Mirage Plus. My boat has 25 Mirage Plus and is a bear to get going unless I bury the tabs and drives and have to take it really easy.Kinda a pain in the a** when I'm trying to catch someone. When the props are biting on take off the whole boat shudders and then smooths out on plane. I've got a set of Bravo 1 24's I'm gonna try. Also my engine temps are 190* when cruising and drop to 185* when idling, normal? I bought the boat as is, private owner, so I don't have a history other than 2 new sea pumps. Other than these little issues she 's clean and fun. Once I get moving :-)
Who's boat got on plane easier yours or your buddy? Was the 2005 a twin step?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:38 AM
Registered

This might sound crazy, but I had this issue with my single and it turned out the pickups for the driver shower (not sure if you have showers) was too deep. I raised them about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and the boat bites everytime now. Take a look at your shower pickups and see if they need to be raised. The reason is they create a bubble behind them and this bubble sometimes will hit the tips of the prop blades and blow the prop out.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by CC247
Hi Jupiter, I was gonna pm you because I've read your posts about your boat. I talked with Sunsation and they said the boat came with 23 Mirage Plus. My boat has 25 Mirage Plus and is a bear to get going unless I bury the tabs and drives and have to take it really easy.Kinda a pain in the a** when I'm trying to catch someone. When the props are biting on take off the whole boat shudders and then smooths out on plane. I've got a set of Bravo 1 24's I'm gonna try. Also my engine temps are 190* when cruising and drop to 185* when idling, normal? I bought the boat as is, private owner, so I don't have a history other than 2 new sea pumps. Other than these little issues she 's clean and fun. Once I get moving :-)
Who's boat got on plane easier yours or your buddy? Was the 2005 a twin step?

Where did the boat come from? Any pics?

I thought the 23 launched out of the hole better than the 24s but my buddy is older and he might have just been slower pushing the sticks forward! The 2005 was not a twin step, same hull as the 04. Definitely swap the props with another set before you spend any money.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I've got some props to test this weekend.. All 4 blades, bravo 1-22, bravo-1 24, and maybe a set of mirage 23's. I'll try to post a pic.