New Sunsation >

New Sunsation

Notices

New Sunsation

Old 01-15-2015, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by SC288
From the pictures that looks like Canada Jeff's boat....that was his screen name on the Sunsation site. They have removed the forum so I would not be able to confirm. Seem to recall the engine started life as a 500EFI....valve covers look like it also. He seemed to take good care of it.
I agree looks like Canada Jeff's old ride. It did start like as a 500 EFI boat. Can't tell for sure but looks like they may have replaced the stock cast iron heads with aluminum when they added the Whipple.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wakeboarrder
i believe the guy is from canada.

what kind of expense am i looking at with this boat vs a .....stock 496ho
Expenses could come in the way of breaking something in the outdrive (top gears, vertical shaft, lower gears, etc.), piston damage due to detonation (for various reasons), head gasket failure, valvetrain problems (rocker arms/springs/valves), etc. But if the motor was built, setup, and properly programmed and you never run into bad fuel it could go 300 + hours since the time it was built before it would need the top end done. I would ask the seller if he has detailed information on the engine build, who the builder was, and if anything was done to beef up the Bravo I. I would not run from this boat yet. It is worth looking into.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree don't run yet it does look nice, and that's a different set up from the 502/whipple set up I had problems with. Mine was not a blue motor and had the older side mount whipple.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:11 AM
Registered

Yeah, the side-mount Whipple on a 502 I would say steer clear of. A Whipple on a 500 EFI is a good piece if properly done.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I agree looks like Canada Jeff's old ride. It did start like as a 500 EFI boat. Can't tell for sure but looks like they may have replaced the stock cast iron heads with aluminum when they added the Whipple.
Does that bring back memories of the out of control fly by Canada Jeff performed at the Sunsation rally that one year? And his hot chick with spike heels in the boat!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Does that bring back memories of the out of control fly by Canada Jeff performed at the Sunsation rally that one year? And his hot chick with spike heels in the boat!
If memory serves we all were navigating a large cruiser wake in the narrows when he launched and almost landed on the dock off the sea wall. He was just behind us.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if a worked motor should be rebuilt in 300hrs...i think I'm going to steer clear
Old 01-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wakeboarrder
if a worked motor should be rebuilt in 300hrs...i think I'm going to steer clear
The entire motor wouldn't necessarily need to be rebuilt. The top end would need to be inspected to determine if valvetrain components needed to be refreshed. Preventative maintenance. Again, depending on the build, components used, the builder, and how hard the boat is run that could stretch to 400 hours.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:36 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Any 500 boat will need valve springs checked between 300 and 400 hrs. If that is a true blue motor it will have a strong bottom end as far as crank ,pistons and rods so as long as the tune on the ecm is right I would not worry about the motor but be more concerned with the total hrs on the outdrive. I had a 288 with a pro-charger and the drive broke at 250 hrs but it was just a run of the mill bravo 1. That boat should have a xr on it if it is a blue motor boat from the factory.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wakeboarrder: do you have the guys contact info on the 288? Btw your pm box is full