Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay >

32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay

Notices

32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay

Old 03-24-2015, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tracy just buy my 2004 Dominator and love as I did for 11 years.[IMG]2011-08-06_13-13-44_332[/IMG]
Old 03-24-2015, 03:50 PM
Registered

Thanks Aggressor! Let me know if you are selling your single. Just shoot me a PM or i can get you my number. Tracy

Originally Posted by Aggressor 25
Thanks Brian. First off, definitely consult Wayne at Sunsation. He is a wealth of information and remembers many of the boats. Everyone at the factory is very helpful and willing to chat.

The stringers will be a big task switching from a twin to a single. I agree with Knot 4 Me, the older Dominators have a much sleeker look. Twins are definitely more friendly around the docks when there is a current and/or wind. As for a bullet proof drive, it does not exist. Both Emil (has the other single Dominator in Virginia) and I have Imco SCs. Even the cryogenic frozen gear sets failed. We both found the the 5 blade Maximus prop had too much bite with little slip and took out the built drives. I raised the x-dimension on mine and now have a standard XR drive on mine now while the Imco is rebuilt.
My job and family has kept me from getting out much in the last few years. Unfortunately, I can count on one hand the number of times I have been out the past few years. My father's Maxium bow rider gets most of the use pulling tubes at Smith Mountain Lake.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:51 PM
Registered

Hey gizzi, feel free to send me some pics. My email is [email protected]
Thanks! T
Old 03-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I have two friends lucky enough to have Single 32' Dominators; both in VA. I can probably have one of them snag pictures when you need them. (I think there are only 5 or 6 total).

Be aware, they are VERY difficult to dock. If you are doing fiberglass/hull work; you might consider a bow thruster; and yes I'm serious.
X2, I couldn't imagine my boat with a single. That front end is such a sail and when it catches wind, it moves VERY fast and I couldn't imagine a single being able to cope with it.

OP: Can I ask the obvious here? Why a single? Just to be different or is there a perceived advantage to all this time/expense?
Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Aggressor 25
Thanks Brian. First off, definitely consult Wayne at Sunsation. He is a wealth of information and remembers many of the boats. Everyone at the factory is very helpful and willing to chat.

The stringers will be a big task switching from a twin to a single. I agree with Knot 4 Me, the older Dominators have a much sleeker look. Twins are definitely more friendly around the docks when there is a current and/or wind. As for a bullet proof drive, it does not exist. Both Emil (has the other single Dominator in Virginia) and I have Imco SCs. Even the cryogenic frozen gear sets failed. We both found the the 5 blade Maximus prop had too much bite with little slip and took out the built drives. I raised the x-dimension on mine and now have a standard XR drive on mine now while the Imco is rebuilt.
My job and family has kept me from getting out much in the last few years. Unfortunately, I can count on one hand the number of times I have been out the past few years. My father's Maxium bow rider gets most of the use pulling tubes at Smith Mountain Lake.
No Disrespect, actually not bad at all switching to Single, much less work than from a triple to a twin.

Fyi, only a few Houses I would trust with Stringer Refit.
(Sunsation, Saber Marine, Team Archer Marine, Skater, Adaptive Composites run by Jim Dyke) just my .02
I mention these because I am aware of there actual capabilities.

Selling extra hardware off will pay for most of his conversion.

#6 is the only way to go with Big Boat with a single and Big HP.
Otherwise you will continue to chase broken parts

Jon
Old 03-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I wouldn't let the docking thing make my decision. My boat is just shy of 32' LOA and I manage.

I think a FAST hull of that length with twin SBC's would be nice.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Registered

I've been texting with Aggressor about his single 32' (he seems very cool!!) I'm months out with my house and he is not in a hurry and is too busy to use his boat so we just may work something out. Why a single 32'....? I already have my power and don't care for how tight a twin engine can get under the hatch.... and I like big boats, lol. If docking aggravates me too much, i'll add a thruster like brian suggested. That would be pretty cool. My power is a twin turbo (twin billet 80's) Big Chief style 540" and plan on using a #6 drive (if I can scratch it!). Let the flaming begin, lol... sorry but I'm an ex-drag racer with a serious horsepower disease! Thanks for all of the input guys!! I really appreciate it, Cheers!
Old 03-25-2015, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by TracyRR
I've been texting with Aggressor about his single 32' (he seems very cool!!) I'm months out with my house and he is not in a hurry and is too busy to use his boat so we just may work something out. Why a single 32'....? I already have my power and don't care for how tight a twin engine can get under the hatch.... and I like big boats, lol. If docking aggravates me too much, i'll add a thruster like brian suggested. That would be pretty cool. My power is a twin turbo (twin billet 80's) Big Chief style 540" and plan on using a #6 drive (if I can scratch it!). Let the flaming begin, lol... sorry but I'm an ex-drag racer with a serious horsepower disease! Thanks for all of the input guys!! I really appreciate it, Cheers!
I think this would be way cool. Keep us posted if it works out..
Old 03-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TracyRR
I don't blame you....love my 32' but changing spark plugs etc. is not fun....
Old 03-25-2015, 04:49 PM
Registered

Thanks guys!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.