2001 Sunsation 288 Overhaul >

2001 Sunsation 288 Overhaul

Notices

2001 Sunsation 288 Overhaul

Old 01-27-2016, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Sunsation 288 Overhaul

I just purchased this 01 Sunsation 288, I have always loved the lines of these boats and after meeting joe this year down that the LC poker run, I knew I had to sell my fountain for one of these.

I am spending the winter overhauling the boat from top to bottom and have a few questions about where to source particular things.

Exterior:
Current:

The plan is underway to completely respray the boat a solid color and trim all the parts out in black and polished stainless.

Interior:
This is where the boat needs more TLC.

My questions are, does Sunsation use any wood on their side panels anymore or have they switched to starboard? I have been warned that warping is a concern with 1/4 to 3/8" sidewalls in starboard.

Also does anyone have a resource about having the the sundeck stitched with the sunsation logo? XT Innovations is redoing the bolsters, rear seat, and deck, while I do the side panels and interior.

Has anyone installed a 12v AC system into the cabin, my wife and I plan to camp out several weekends on the water and having the ability to cool off the cabin before bed is a big must. Ive been looking at using the toilet water system and installing into the same location a 12v AC 4000BTU system.

The factory engine hydraulic lift has failed so I am contemplating an electric unit over the current one depending on availability and ease of install.

Engine & Drive:
The motor is a freshly built 496 HO by DiMarco Performance, Weiand 144 Blower, Holley Terminator EFI
XR Drive, -2 Imco Lower, Lantham Hydraulic Steering
The engine is almost completely sorted out as is the drive, I am just waiting for boat to come out of paint to take pictures of everything.

Stereo:
DJ Marine Audio 8" Components, 10" Subs, & Amps
Clarion CMS5 Headunit w/ Remote

I will post more details as progress allows. Things I am looking for.
New factory snap on cover in black or grey.
Recommendations for a new trailer.

Thanks,
Don
Old 01-28-2016, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Give me a call at the shop and I can point you in the right direction on a few of these things. 810-794-4888.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Manning Marine in Michigan has made some of the trailers for the Sunsations including my 2003 32'. I had a 1999 288 that I did quite a bit of work on and it was a great boat. Ran about 80 on gps with 600 HP. Used a labbed 28 bravo from B Blades for a prop.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a fun build and nice to see another local with a Sunny. No clue on your questions but I'd take Kyle up on the offer.

Keep the hydraulic lift for the hatch. Electric are slow and seem to fail more often.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:37 PM
Registered

Sounds good, thank you for the advice, I will do that and keep the Hydraulic lift. Ill give Jeff a shout when i hit a wall on any of this. I also managed to covert the Sunsation logo to a workable vector graphic, so I can print a pattern my wife can stitch.

Ive been doing some research and found a couple of drawbacks to large pieces of starboard. They tend to warp near heat sources and lose their shape. For the engine deck Ive gone with 1/2 marine Plywood and all new closed cell foam. XT was beyond booked and talked my wife into taking on another upholstery job.

For the small side trim panels I am using 3/8" Starboard with t-nut fittings and hex head SS bolts to reinstall.

All of the current work has been super boring but made a huge difference, wet sand and buff the cockpit gelcoat, replace fuel vent with SS, change water drain with SS fitting, small things. Until the boat is out of paint not much can really be seen.

Last edited by DJ Aviation; 02-16-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm quite jealous of your family teamwork restore! I might consider replacing your fuel pickup while you're doing all this. Had to do my 05's over the winter and it was a PITA with all the audio on top of the tank. It's cheap insurance.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

That's awesome you can take it on as a team. Awesome experience and memories, I'm sure. Not super familiar with starboard outside the fact it's expensive and supposed to be strong. My first boat, a Crownline, had it in the bow and broke both cushions stepping on it. Not jumping and I'm 185. Replaced with pressure treated wood. It was more comfortable and didn't flex.

The factory knows their stuff and use materials based on feedback and success. Not trying to be vague but I'd take their feedback.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:55 AM
Registered

Good day!
I'm in the same boat as DJ Aviation (pun intended). I just recently purchased a 2000 Sunsation 288 and I am building this boat to the way I want it. I put a 565ci making 650hp on the dyno. I am running a XR outdrive with a 2" shorty Sportsmaster(1:35 gear ratio). spinning a 24 Bravo 1. All I can get is 73mph on GPS @ 5200RPM. I feel I should be getting more speed out of this set up. I am looking for people who have gone through this trial and error with this year of boat so I am not wasting a bunch of time and money. Open to suggestions
Old 09-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a 99' 288 that I installed a Mercury Racing 525 SC into, it had big tube headers and the small pulley so was probably making an honest 550 HP or more. The best speed it ran was 80 on GPS with a 28 lab bravo from BBlades at 5,200 RPM. I had a stock Bravo 1 with standard length lower. I think with stock 496 Mag HO's they ran 68 ish give or take.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Who makes the electric hatch lift, I think mine is starting to go bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.